Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: What's happening today? (2011)  (Read 342033 times)

Onetrack

Re: What's happening today? (2011)
« Reply #775 on: 18-Dec-11, 08:35 »
Hope you're not thinking I'm having a dig mate 'cause I sure ain't.

Merely lamenting at the lack of bike time that has been achieved today.  Mind you, it was the better half's birthday today so I'd be likely to be reprimanded in the underwear region with a sharp knife if I disappeared for a two wheeled expedition  rolleye0012

No offence taken at all, I also wish I had spent my time more directly on bikes (riding the thing) or at least getting it ready for a new journey or doing more things with my trains.  

"Young" Les F

Kathy

« Reply #776 on: 18-Dec-11, 19:11 »
Spent most of yesterday taking a speedway car for a spin around the Sapphire Speedway near Bega - way fun!!  I was driving a Ford Laser that belonged to a friend of my BIL but next time I get to play with my BIL's Commodore - can't wait ...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

CX PHREAK

« Reply #777 on: 18-Dec-11, 19:13 »
Hoon.  happy0159

CX PHREAK

« Reply #778 on: 18-Dec-11, 19:30 »
Fitted the yankee carbs to my bike today, they appear to have developed a leak since they were last on my bike. It's coming from the left carb, likely a shrivelled 'O' ring on the transfer tube.

I'll see if I can spot where it's coming from by puffing a bit of talc on the suspect area before I turn the fuel on.

I may just fit the set I've already ultrasonically cleaned and rebuilt with new parts for one of the other bikes instead if the leak turns out to be something on the accelerator pump [also in the same general area]as I don't have these parts on hand.

Brakes bled up well. Switches and cables all reinstalled and working, in fact I fitted a new choke cable since I've had one here for this bike for a while.  New throttle cables to be purchased and fitted soonish.

Staffy

« Reply #779 on: 18-Dec-11, 20:04 »
Chuck on my set with your jet size in if it gets you out of trouble while you're setting yours up.  It saves 'em drying out in the meantime too.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #780 on: 18-Dec-11, 20:08 »
 Thanks for the offer Staffo, but I've got it covered 3 different ways I reckon.   imoksmiley

Interested to see what size jets are in the set I just pulled off. I suspect larger than standard to match the 2 into 1 pipe.

Staffy

« Reply #781 on: 18-Dec-11, 20:16 »
Still if you've got it in bits and need to get up to super gyp etc, you know that they're there for ya.  Just lob 'em in there matey.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #782 on: 18-Dec-11, 20:17 »
 happy0159

doddsy1000

« Reply #783 on: 18-Dec-11, 23:42 »
Oh Kathy, I'm way jealous of the speedway drive.  Tons of fun sliding  happy0158 happy0158

Doddsy got a call from H D Conyers wondering why I'm back on L plates?

Harold had spotted my son riding the wasp home from work yesterday on the Eastern freeway.  lmao

Be nice to the Wasp on the road guys until you see the rider.  I've lost it to one L plater & a future son in law green P plater recently.  No plates = me & you can do your worst  lmao

I also gave the Wasp a decent service this evening & she came up great.  I'll go & make a post in the "doddsy's wasp gets a makeover" post on that subject as it follows along that line.

cheers

Doddsy

CX PHREAK

« Reply #784 on: 19-Dec-11, 19:44 »
The leak from my bikes carb must have been a shrunken 'O' ring or something.

Went out to the shed this morning, dusted the offending area with talc and turned the petcock on and waited to see where the leak was coming from. And waited... and waited.... and...

Whatever it was, with fuel in the carbs it must have 'taken up' overnight.

Did some other things for a couple of hours, still no leak.

Went to the shops, still no leak.   rolleye0012

Brakes really good.   fietsertour

Staffy

« Reply #785 on: 21-Dec-11, 21:38 »
I actually got some time to do a few things on the 500 today  happy0065

I Continued work on the contour which will cover over the old tank badge mounts.  A layer of bog is nowdown and sanded and I hope to doa  second run tomorrow. 

I also got the tail light apart and got into cleaning up the plastic chrome.  It's part way there with most of the exposed sections fairly well polished, but I still need to clean up all the other little bits ready for paint.  It'll all be black except for the chrome that goes around the taillight and the bit inside that needs to be chrome.  that way it'll look a lot neater and age a little better too.

Not a lot but it's more than I've done in some time.

doddsy1000

« Reply #786 on: 21-Dec-11, 22:09 »
Every bit helps mate.

The best I could do was stack the cb900 parts with the cb900.  A big improvement in my garage.  2funny 2funny

I find that the restoration comes in waves.  Flat out one week & then distracted for numerous weeks.

The rest of life, just won't stay on hold. 2shocked

I went to a VJMC meeting last night & the quality of workmanship on the bike was just superb.  Apparently, the reduced group of stalwarts are the guys that restore to perfection & we see them at the annual rallies.  I'd have to bet that they have superbly developed skills for that level, but the rest of us are making what we love in our own way.

As silly as it sounds, I was offered a few coatings to speed the CB900 resto along, but declined.  The CB900 is supposed to be the best that this Dad can do in his garage, with minimal out-sourcing.

But that's just me  2idiot

cheers

Doddsy

Onetrack

« Reply #787 on: 22-Dec-11, 18:43 »
No CXing for the next few days, off to Youngaburra on the Atherton tablelands for a cooler (in our terms less than 30°C) Xmas.  Been transcribing a diary of one of my ancestors covering his passage from England to Tasmania in 1889 and his first 18 months there.  Whilst at Youngaburra will be fixing I hope a very large air compressor as the next step to spray painting my CX panels.

"Young" Les F

Paul F

« Reply #788 on: 26-Dec-11, 23:30 »
Well Boxing day started slow with a food/alcohol overload still looming from yesterday, Xmas Day.
 Plan (A). Thought I'd get out in the "MAN CAVE" and do a bit on Old Red as my daughter Jessica needs it back by the 3rd Jan to start work. Old Red is in for a valve change due to running sluggish and half the compression in the R/H cylinder.
Well I modified a 6"inch G clamp to compress the valve springs to remove the valve collets with and pulled them out.....The valves came out fine but the valve seats had burnt out marks soooo big they cant be re seated at all.....

Plan (B). Remove the R/H Head from a spare motor recently bought for another project to use it instead of the original one. Yep well they came out just as bad possible worse from the spare so I removed the valves and yep.... There as bad in the seat department as well, totally stuffed.....

Plan (C). Threw a please assist to a local crew for assistance knowing they have a few spares around and now  waiting for acknowledgement that they can assist. I will replace any head given with a repaired head with new valve seats when the head re conditioners are back at work in the new year.....

So apart from that I was blowing out the cobwebs from the spare head I have and the Bloo%%#@!y air compressor I have Sh%$T it's self and burnt out the motor........ I said to myself "I LOVE BOXING DAY"  and went inside and opened a bottle of red Cab Sav and thought about what I was going to bar be que for dinner......
Lets see What Tomorrow Brings........  Doh

ACE

« Reply #789 on: 27-Dec-11, 18:41 »
Hiya Paul..hope the gloves arrived and fit OK...
I am in a bit of the wars a.t.m....went scuba diving for our Christmas crayfish last Friday..(and, yes, we did enjoy them mate!)..anyway..after the diving we changed outta the wetsuits and did some squid fishing. After I pulled the anchor and was returning along the edge of the boat, I stepped down, missed my footing and got thrown backwards onto the metal side of the boat, inc the metal rod holder..right in the middle of my upper spine...not funny at all...looks like I may have some cracked ribs or something....and the muscle spasms were like someone smashing me in the back with a hammer 2cry...so mate..I am hearing your frustration!
Must admit, I seem a bit better today so had a play in the mancave...making up a welding and parts bench..so you can see I am not toooo bad eh!
ACE (ouch)

Willy

« Reply #790 on: 27-Dec-11, 20:56 »
I dunno Ace, might of been justice I had to eat humble prawns and oysters.  :well: 2wink 2wink

Staffy

« Reply #791 on: 27-Dec-11, 21:01 »
Damn Ace, that sounds painful enough just reading it!

Paul, there's been some heads for sale on Adelaide Gumtree for the last 3 months or so which are still advertised.  $100 for the pair and they're near me. Happy to pick up and post if they'll be of any help to you (but I'm assuming something should come up closer to home).

I've had a little less misfortune and have spent the last 3 days (yes, including christmas day) with a fair amount of shed time.  Have gotten the first coat of paint on the side covers and tail piece of the 500 as a result.  Am really enjoying this time off.  party0024

Paul F

« Reply #792 on: 28-Dec-11, 00:31 »
Thanks for the offer Staffy, but $100 sight unseen and in what condition IS what I have now with burnt out exhaust valves. There's a pair in The USA for $20 and with $36ea for freight it's cheaper but not waiting that long either.

Well I thought a plee for help locally with a promise of and exchange head back with new seats fitted when the head repairers are back at work may have been enough BUT to no avail.......

Seems I will have to wait till I drop the head in for two seats to be fitted and I'm off to Gosford for work for the next 6 weeks starting on the 3rd Jan.
So the bike will sit in my workshop, Jessica will have to get other transport elsewhere or walk to work and I'll get it down when I'm home next.

Ace, you wouldn't have injured yourself if you were sharing your crayfish with me........ all the best getting better mate and I haven't seen Jessica yet to give her the gloves for Christmas as yet.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal