Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: What's happening today?  (Read 323716 times)

CX PHREAK

Re: What's happening today?
« Reply #50 on: 21-Jul-11, 19:24 »
No problem Ray.

Got Staffos second carb finished, just now waiting to be reunited with it's cobber.

Right hand fork leg pulled ready to be rebuilt.

Looks like the callipers could do with some TLC.

Staffy

« Reply #51 on: 21-Jul-11, 19:39 »
Sounds like my day.  Did everything except the bike.  Well I did get out there but made up the plug for the dash bulb section of the loom and that was it.  2tickedoff

MR BLACK

« Reply #52 on: 21-Jul-11, 20:34 »
Well, there's nothing like a diary to get the Forum members tapping away at the keyboards is there? (& why not at that!)
As for my week since Sunday... it has been bloody cold here in the Southern Highlands after being subjected to gale force winds the week before (lots of trees down all over the place & the mess is still being cleaned up).  During the height of the gales wife, kids & I moved house after selling up our 3 y.o. home on a half acre to buy 4 acres in a little village (our kids have a horse - say no more).  The rental for the next 2 and a half months has a wood fire and is dry so can't complain.  My first encounter with tank water and on-site effluent disposal (short-ish showers, no disinfectant down the dunny...)  2shocked
It is now a half hour ride (30 kays) on Mr Black to work & this week that has been a ride in the rain with the temp. around 6 degrees at 8am.  Much better than last week, 0 to 2 degrees, frost (yuck, slippery!) & with FROZEN FINGERS.  In desperation I bought some thermal undergloves for $20 from the Mittagong bike dealership on Monday (was going to buy some new gloves, but at $100 for DriRider Storm's maybe some other winter...)  That has helped.  Still arrived with frozen fingers but avoided the near frostbite pain of thawing out over the computer desk making funny dying noises to amuse my work colleagues...  Not so bad for the left hand (can sneak the hand down onto the cylinder head to thaw out in the straights!) but very hard on the poor throttle hand my wordy yes indeedy...
At least my new DriRider wet weather jacket and pants have been totally waterproof.  These are the cheap(ish) non-padded variety sans hypora membrane etc: etc: but do you know what?  For the first time in 20 years I have (in combination with MotoDry waterproof boots bought last winter) gear that keeps me dry in heavy rain.  If only I had this gear at Cowra in 2010; the ride home from the rally was very wet indeed via Bathurst, Crookwell & Goulburn (not to mention the 26km traffic jam on the Hume as a result of a truck rollover in the wet conditions). But I digress... (very badly as it happens).
Personally I enjoy reading about the day to day workshop or other activities of those of us CX afflicted. I for one hope that we continue with the social side of the Forum, now that we have amassed such a wonderful resource in our Technical posts!
Cheers & looking forward to hearing what others have been up to with their CXes during this cold winter month,
Mike :)

Staffy

« Reply #53 on: 21-Jul-11, 21:05 »
Time for some heated grips Mike?

Mins Man

« Reply #54 on: 21-Jul-11, 22:48 »
Maybe a set of those hand guards the dirt bikers use, or a throttle lock so you can warm the right hand up too.

doddsy1000

« Reply #55 on: 21-Jul-11, 23:00 »
Actually, you can get bark busters for road bikes now.  :grandpa:  I'm going to take a look really soon, because I'm finding myself gripping too hard when the hands freeze up & not thawing out as easily as I used to.  :crash:  I still have some yellow paint left to match them happy0158

When I think about it, the only place I get cold is the hands, so that would fix it.  It's also the only place I get wet nowadays. fietsertour

You can keep the southern highlands, I have enough trouble with the Dandenongs  lmao

Onetrack

« Reply #56 on: 22-Jul-11, 06:51 »
When it really gets cold a set of these for $40.00 with heated grips is absolute bliss.

WARM HANDS MOTORCYCLE HANDLEBAR BAR MUFFS - GRPMUFF | eBay

"Young" Les F

doddsy1000

« Reply #57 on: 22-Jul-11, 08:05 »
They actually look really good.  happy0159  I noticed the picture shows the rider has his gloves on underneath.  That's a bonus  happy0158

ACE

« Reply #58 on: 22-Jul-11, 08:34 »
I bought these after seeing Les's in QLD...but I can't use them on the 500 shadow as they seem a bit big for the various bits on the bars..and I am still a bit concerned about being able to get my hands out in a hurry...still...will give them a decent go on a long ride sometime...
ACE

doddsy1000

« Reply #59 on: 22-Jul-11, 08:51 »
Back to the yellow bark busters  happy0158  That was my first choice, as they also help in Summer when I'm wearing light gloves.

Many of you would be familiar with the temperature change as you're climbing a small mountain.  It's almost as if the thermometer kicks in after "that" bend.

NailBiter NailBiter NailBiter

MR BLACK

« Reply #60 on: 22-Jul-11, 09:05 »
Thanks for the good advice guys.
I've actually been thinking along all of those options.  Last winter I checked out the 'Bark Busters' and was amazed at how expensive they were (can't remember the asking price now).  A couple of the guys in the small local bike club here have invested in heated handlebar grips and they highly recommend them ($110 which seems very reasonable).  I once had a 'Vista' throttle lock (cruise control) on a boxer BMW when I was into a lot of touring (wow, was that really over 20 years ago!) and the thought has crossed my mind that having one again would be a great idea for a different reason!  Same as you Doddsy, I find that the hands are the only part of the bod. that I cannot keep warm or dry when up against the weather.  Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention the snow during the week (did I mention the snow?).  On Tuesday it was not only wet & bloody cold but it also snowed for an hour or two, but there was too much rain for it to settle on the ground in Moss Vale.  I'm sure you're feeling jealous right Les?
-Mike

doddsy1000

« Reply #61 on: 22-Jul-11, 09:09 »
(did I mention the snow?). 

Did you have to fit snow chains?  lmao lmao lmao

Not a lot of sympathy here, is there?  lmao lmao

MR BLACK

« Reply #62 on: 22-Jul-11, 09:14 »
Ian,
I think I have come to the WRONG PLACE for sympathy  happy0062

Rayman

« Reply #63 on: 22-Jul-11, 09:17 »
sounds bloody cold mate - have enough trouble here in the hills when its close to zero and misty -
you know 100% humidity and near freezing - then add in the wind chill -

but snow  - you win !
I think my solution will end up being heated glove inners.

rayman

doddsy1000

« Reply #64 on: 22-Jul-11, 09:19 »
Pretty much Mark.  2knuckle

Suck it up (as the US Marines say), us CX riders can take mother nature head on! :yourock:

Anyone who rode home from Cowra can testify to that  lmao lmao lmao

Onetrack

« Reply #65 on: 22-Jul-11, 09:20 »
Mike, I grew up and began my motorcycling in the Blue Mountains, I know about snow, sleet and cold with the then poor riding equipment and trying to persuade British "machinery" to get me home.  These days 25°C is cold, I am not jealous at all. 

"Young" Les F

MR BLACK

« Reply #66 on: 22-Jul-11, 09:21 »
Didn't think of that solution Rayman... but sounds like a good idea!  Between the ages of 19 to 21 I lived in the Adelaide Hills (Hawthorndene) & I spent many, many happy hours exploring the roads on my old Z500 Kawasaki.  Ahhh... memories.  Didn't seem as cold back then but then again my hands are older now!  2cry

MR BLACK

« Reply #67 on: 22-Jul-11, 09:25 »
I take my hat off to you Les (if I was wearing one that is).  I started my riding career in Victoria on a Kawasaki Z250 twin.  Come to think of it that bike was probably only marginally more reliable than the old British Iron...  & yeah, the riding gear has come a long, long way.  happy0062

doddsy1000

« Reply #68 on: 22-Jul-11, 15:30 »
We used to ride an old british single without a fuel tank around the ex marekt gardens.  When the carby ran out of fuel, we were'nt big enough to hold it up.  lmao

After that, "Mr Stupid" here tried a Kawasaki 400 triple for just long enough.  All go, no anything else.

Stopped riding after that  NailBiter NailBiter NailBiter

Onetrack

« Reply #69 on: 22-Jul-11, 18:16 »
Spent the day repairing AVOmeters.  For those in the know they are model 7 and model 8 Mk 11 and Mk V a total of 6 analogue multimeters to repair.  There are a bit like CX's really, over engineered and mostly hand made.  Made in the city of Dover, England.    Two of these meters I have had for several lifetimes.
The second one from the left was made in 1983 and cost about $2,500.00.  They are all considered rubbish to-day.
"Young" Les F

doddsy1000

« Reply #70 on: 22-Jul-11, 22:48 »
Wasn't AVO = Amps Volts Ohms, back in the day?

Replaced by a $20 digital multimeter from Radio Shack these days.  I remember when the Fluke brand were the best & most expensive digital meters around & my 20mhz twin trace CRO was actually useful. (CRO is Cathode Ray Ocilliscope, now replaced by a usb dongle for your laptop).

Your AVO's will be worth a good dollar to collectors one day Les.  :grandpa:

Steve

« Reply #71 on: 22-Jul-11, 22:58 »
Oh, and just a question for Steve, did you need your Missus or the bath to adjust your brakes?

Haha!  I needed a bath to contemplate where I had packed most of the tools  lmao  Nah, these days it's all about making sure there's a set of hands (and other bits) available when the little bugger yells out.

Steve

« Reply #72 on: 22-Jul-11, 23:00 »
Spent the day repairing AVOmeters.  For those in the know they are model 7 and model 8 Mk 11 and Mk V a total of 6 analogue multimeters to repair.  There are a bit like CX's really, over engineered and mostly hand made.  Made in the city of Dover, England.    Two of these meters I have had for several lifetimes.
The second one from the left was made in 1983 and cost about $2,500.00.  They are all considered rubbish to-day.
"Young" Les F

Some nice lookers there Les, I've got a bit of a collection of old electronics gear, most still being used actually!  I have a fetish for polished wood and brass   2smitten

Onetrack

« Reply #73 on: 23-Jul-11, 06:48 »
The Avometer name does indeed originate in Amp-Volts-Ohms+meter.  With these Avometers there is a function that they do that can not be done with most digitals.  Try reading a varying voltage such as an audio signal.  These things are well made, accurate, obsolete, low value, do what they are supposed to do and go on for ever, sound familiar.  They are presently being thrown out of training intuitions and industrial situations as they require a little bit of training and understanding to use them and no one is trained to understand how things work anymore.

"Young" Les F

Seagrass

« Reply #74 on: 23-Jul-11, 08:00 »
Today I am heading off to Kay's to retension the heads on Arty's bike and clean the carby's. With this work done the bike should be ready for rego happy0158

While I am there I will be picking up some items people have purchased from the photos I posted (not from the inventory list)

Seagrass

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

Puggle
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal