Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: 2012 Australian CX500 & CX650 Rally  (Read 11494 times)

doddsy1000

Re: 2012 Australian CX500 & CX650 Rally
« Reply #100 on: 16-Apr-12, 21:46 »
Good on ya Mike.  I'm sorry I couldn't do that ride, but work committments beckoned & I needed to make some distance.  There'll be another day I'm sure & another chat & drink is well & truly on the cards.  happy0159.

Hey Don, you'll laugh when I tell you that I watched you ride past in Blayney.  I had a change of heart & decided to fix those remaining things on the bike early rather than risk an issue later.  By the time I'd finished, you had an hour head start on me.  lmao

I really enjoyed the ride back through the NSW countryside & as I headed further south the pothles were bothering me less & i was relaxed & riding better than the previous days ride.  We are trained to look ahead & not down, but in NSW, you really need to do both without the "look down / go down" issues.  2cry

It really does seem to be horses for courses or engine tuning with fuel.  I run E10 in my car (Subaru Liberty 2003) & gain at least 10% fuel economy over unleaded. That's 50 km more from a cheaper tank.

I wouldn't dream of putting it in the bike yet though.  NailBiter

I'm pretty sure that caravan park in Neranderra will be the one with the water slide.  That's a terrific park.

cheers

Doddsy   AKA - "Night Rider" - "After Midnight" - "DropKick" - and many, many more..........  lmao

Staffy

« Reply #101 on: 16-Apr-12, 21:48 »
You'll always be "Doddgy" to me  2wink

rooray

« Reply #102 on: 17-Apr-12, 18:35 »
Sorry Don I didnt know. Glad you got home OK... interesting about the E10... Bill will drop it off next time he visits

MR BLACK

« Reply #103 on: 17-Apr-12, 18:57 »
'After Midnight'.  I think I coined that. Like It!  happy0062

doddsy1000

« Reply #104 on: 17-Apr-12, 19:22 »
If we get serious, I'd better re-paint the Wasp  lmao lmao lmao

Dr Don

« Reply #105 on: 17-Apr-12, 21:51 »
Ray, I should be seeing Willy tomorrow - he's coming up to Melbourne to see his doc..

doddsy1000

« Reply #106 on: 20-Apr-12, 00:08 »
"Black Friday"   Another Doddsy motorcycling story......again  2undecided

Leaving home for Bathurst at 7:15am, I lost half an hour thawing out my frozen fingers along the way, but made it to Seymour in time for a MacDonalds Brekky.  Is that all "Friday the 13th" has for me?  "I'll be over the border by midday!"

Wasn't that the "kiss of death"?

200KM from home, I had to switch from full to reserve on the fuel tap.  Not a problem, except that it didn't work.  So I eased off the side of the road & as the air temperature was becoming warmer, I found the shade of a tree to park under while still staying on the road surface stopping lane.

Now the safest thing you can do when you take off your helmet is put it on the ground.  But within seconds, I had Red Bull Ants swarming all over the helmet like mini crab spiders.  Hundreds of them!  I'd parked next to an ants nest!  Built right on the edge of the roadway! And put the helmet right on top of them!    Aaaaarrrghh!

If I had a spare, that helmet would have stayed there.  Un-Be-Lievable!  What the?

I don't know the "right" way to do this, but the helmet stayed on the ground while I pushed the bike another 20 meters up the road & brushed the angry little ants off my tyres. ( they were the most agressive little things I've ever seen.  Probably because they built their stupid nest right next to a freeway & never sleep!).

Back on with the gloves & back to the helmet.  Yuk!

Here we go.... right gloved hand on the chin guard, left gloved hand brushing ants off the right gloved hand. More Yuk!

Bang the back of the Helmet on the ground a few times (A Grass bit, not bitumen) & a few ants fell off.  More & more & a few more fell off, until the outside looked pretty clear.  Then turn the helmet over & watch the little guys swimming around in the padding.  Yuk!,

Anger can be helpful occasionally (not often) & I cracked it.  I'd been doing this for a good ten minutes so far & then started ripping the padding out of the helmet through the visor, ants flying everywhere.  Caring was for any other day than Friday the 13th!

Down to a dozen or so that I couldn't get with the gloves & madness kicks in!  Off with the right glove & attack!!!  One squished ant, two squished ants, three, four, ..............................    How long before I dare put the helmet on again?  NailBiter

It had been at least 20 - 30 minutes since I started attacking ants & the helmet was in pieces on the bike seat.  I waited another 10 minutes at least, before picking it up again.  Slowly.

Pushing all around the rather dismal remaining padding & finding no sign of ants, I found it was only Velcro & press studs holding the padding in anyway & everything went back into place really well.  I'll meet another ant in half an hour, won't I?  (Lucky, that didn't happen :-)

Managed to talk the reserve into working, but stopped 3 more times on the way & doing 2 roadside repairs on the fuel tap & filter before I finally got the bike cruising well.

None of the 30 year old parts failed, just the one I bought aftermarket a year ago.  2cry

200km of straight freeway from 9:15am to 4:30pm.  "What a ride!"  :well:

I started the day Helmet Singing, "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond & hit the NSW border to the tune of "I would walk 500 miles" by The Proclaimers  :well:

Got to Bathurst at 12:15AM on "Saturday the 14th" Yay!

Onetrack

« Reply #107 on: 20-Apr-12, 06:17 »
What does the aftermarket tap look like and why did you change the original.  We have ants by the million but nothing like those aggressive red things that inhabit the south.

"Young" Les F

doddsy1000

« Reply #108 on: 20-Apr-12, 08:54 »
and why did you change the original

You what?  The original didn't have a pipe & was permanently on reserve.

I thought that if I ran out of fuel, then maybe an internet motorcycle forum may never let me live it down. lmao lmao

Now why would I think that?  lmao lmao lmao

(I'll pull it out again & take a photo.  My workmanship on the side of the road wasn't quite ideal)

Mins Man

« Reply #109 on: 20-Apr-12, 11:47 »
Maybe your new bike should be named 'The Bullant'. 2funny

doddsy1000

« Reply #110 on: 20-Apr-12, 12:55 »
A couple of decent Wasps would have been handy  :well:

lmao lmao lmao

Onetrack

« Reply #111 on: 20-Apr-12, 14:25 »
Do you mean "The Wasp" is indecent?

Formicidae – ants
Vespidae – hornets and yellow jackets

MR BLACK

« Reply #112 on: 20-Apr-12, 18:07 »
Doddsy,
You're a Legend!  I hope that you are writing all of this down (with photos) for your grandkids.  I have no doubt that future generations of cossetted young adults will be fascinated by those mad motorcyclists of yesterday...   happy0065
-Mike.

doddsy1000

« Reply #113 on: 21-Apr-12, 01:29 »
Thanks Mike.  I think "Mad Motorcyclist" pretty much fitted me to a "T" last Friday.  lmao lmao lmao

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal