Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Turbo pressure sensor substitutions  (Read 1661 times)

jhovel

Turbo pressure sensor substitutions
« Started on: 11-Jul-11, 19:33 »
I had correpsondence from Leo in Europe today, who wanted us to know the following discovery:

Hi Joe,

We have some members with broken Pb and P2 sensors for our 650T's. I think you have the same problems.
As you know they are not available anymore.

When I checked the sensorlist in the manual 500T I found out that the P1-sensor has the same readings as the Pb-sensor.
So they can be exchanged.
Also the P2 and the Pign have identical readings only the voltage of the Pign is 12 volt.
This voltage can be obtain from the wiring harnes so these two also can be used as subsitude.
Only the coulor of the plugs are different that's why they have different numbers.

Maybe you already know this but want to let you know.

Best regards Leo

Cheers,
Joe

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

Re: Turbo pressure sensor substitutions
« Reply #1 on: 11-Jul-11, 21:00 »
Joe,

that's good information to know -

thanks

charlie

Olwesty

« Reply #2 on: 12-Jul-11, 08:35 »
Thanks Joe .. good to know ..

Cheers,

Lindsay

dutchturbo

« Reply #3 on: 13-Jul-11, 06:36 »
WARNING WARNING

If you want to use a Pign (12 volt) as replacement for the P2 (5 volt) on your 650T you have to connect the + wire at the engine stop switch which is 12 volt of course.
This is where on the 500t the Pign is connected.  The P1- P2- Pb receive there voltage (5 volt)  from the ECU
I'm not sure what will happen if you do it the other way around using a P2 sensor as replacement for a Pign.  I mean 12 volt on a P2 sensor.  Maybe it will blow!!
Or will a Pign sensor work on 5 volts???     .
Didn't try it yet because they are almost extincted.
Also  don't know what will happen when the 5 volt from the ECU is not connected anymore and what the leading phase 12 volts does with the sensor readings used as P2.
I've not yet check it out, I've only noticed the possibility for exchanging.
So be very careful, it's still under construction.

P1 and Pb can, without problems, be used in both directions.

Will be continued.

Best regards Leo
Parts Commission HFTC
The Netherlands

abecedarian

« Reply #4 on: 09-Jun-12, 04:23 »
I wonder how hard it would be to make an arduino or other microcontroller simulate our sensors with an off-the-shelf map sensor?
One could probably be programmed to read 4 map sensors and simulate all 4 P sensors through DAC converters. It could read a generic sensor, say from GM since they are common, look up an appropriate output signal from a pre-programmed table then push the appropriate voltage through a DAC to the ECU's.
Since the ECU's are looking for voltage returning from the sensor, and not directly measuring the resistance of the sensor, this should work, no?

Kirk

Rayman

« Reply #5 on: 09-Jun-12, 08:32 »
yep kirk - i dont see any problem -
rather than a voltage - as they are looking for a "resistance" its better to make the output a current source or sink - as this better  matches the interface to the bike -

it would be quite simple to do - the only issues are getting the two sets of data needed -

Rayman

abecedarian

« Reply #6 on: 09-Jun-12, 08:55 »
rather than a voltage - as they are looking for a "resistance" its better to make the output a current source or sink - as this better  matches the interface to the bike -

it would be quite simple to do - the only issues are getting the two sets of data needed -

Rayman
Acquisition data from a generic MAP sensor would be easy to find. Creating a reference table for the P* sensors would be more difficult, but do-able- would just need good sensors and sampling those accordingly.
* abecedarian is thinking. If the controller could sense the Vin+ from the ECU and biased the Vout+ accordingly, the ECU would "think" it was reading resistance, no?

What I read is that the ECU outs V+ and reads Vreturn from the sensor, and deduces the resistance, and thus sensor reading, from the voltage drop. I'm probably overthinking here.

Kirk

abecedarian

« Reply #7 on: 09-Jun-12, 08:58 »

Rayman

If anyone could make it work, Rayman, you could. ;) I've read most of your posts and you're on it. ;)

Kirk

Website and forum protected by
┬áSTOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

Puggle
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal