Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Wayne's cafe racer project  (Read 14152 times)

Excalibre

Re: Wayne's cafe racer project
« Reply #50 on: 04-Jan-11, 23:05 »
Hi all,

Some more work on the seat etc.
I've detoured slightly from Steve's path so I'll provide a little more detail than I said I would.

This is one of the locating lugs that slips under the rear tank bracket. I tapped a hole at an angle so that the bolts could be screwed in or out to adjust the fit of the front of the seat frame. When I was happy with the alignment I welded the bolts in position.

Here's the two finished lugs with some plastic caps over them.
It turns out that my rear tank bracket was welded slightly off centre and at and angle, so I've had to make the seat frame a bit wonky to compensate.

The finished frame in all it's glory.
Top view / Bottom view / Detail of cut-out that slots over the frame

These are the rubber blocks that support the weight. They came from Clark Rubber and were almost the perfect size, I just had to angle the top a bit. They are held in place by plastic plugs that pressed into the existing holes in the CX's frame. The blocks are located such that they straddle the side rails and the centre cross member of the seat frame so that the load is distributed as much as possible.

Next I Installed the seat frame on the bike and glued the seat to it using a bedding compound (i.e. black roofing silicon) to smooth out any imperfections and provide even support for the fibreglass seat. This allowed me the opportunity to wiggle the seat around until I was happy with it's position on the bike. Then I weighted the seat and left it for a day for the silicon to cure. In the second picture you can see that the silicon has squished just enough to form a bed without making a mess  happy0158

Then (as per Steve's build) I riveted the seat onto the frame using washers under the rivet heads.

As a diversion, I did a quick test fit of the new mudguard and tail light. I have no idea what bike the mudguard came from but it was almost perfect for what I wanted to do and is a good match for the front guard. With the number plate on, it should be legal length (or near enough). The tail light is a copy of a Lucas type 564. There's a cut-out in the rear of the seat to fit over the tail light.

Finally some more shameful thievery of Steve's ideas  NotWorthy
Alluminium foil and fibreglass / Trim to desired size & shape / Embed bolts and nuts (I used araldite)

Next stages are upholstering the seat and finishing off the mudguard, tail light and rear indicators.

Cheers,
Wayne

doddsy1000

« Reply #51 on: 05-Jan-11, 00:06 »
Finally some more shameful thievery of Steve's ideas

You won't go far wrong doing that mate.  I wish I had the talent for the same.

Steve F

« Reply #52 on: 05-Jan-11, 09:33 »
Looking great :)  When you pad the seat test it a lot, I found with mine I had to trim the sides down quite a bit as I went so it didn't dig into my thighs and cause leg pain.

Cheers
Steve

Excalibre

« Reply #53 on: 05-Jan-11, 10:55 »
Looking great :)  When you pad the seat test it a lot, I found with mine I had to trim the sides down quite a bit as I went so it didn't dig into my thighs and cause leg pain.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve, will do.

Cheers,
Wayne

8Track

« Reply #54 on: 05-Jan-11, 15:45 »
I like the chrom guard peeking out from under the seat. A really nice touch!

Excalibre

« Reply #55 on: 05-Jan-11, 22:11 »
I like the chrom guard peeking out from under the seat. A really nice touch!

Thanks, I'm happy with the way the look is coming along.
I'm trying to emulate what a cafe racer built in the 50's - 60's would have looked like, so it's all about old school retro cool  2cool

Excalibre

« Reply #56 on: 09-Jan-11, 20:58 »
The seat is finished!!!  party0024

I used medium density foam. Spray adhesive was used to stick it to the base so that it would stay in position while it was shaped. Then it was roughly cut to shape using an electric knife from the kitchen.

After which, the final shaping was done with an angle grinder with a sanding disc attached. I used a coarse sand paper initially but it was a bit too aggressive so I switched to a finer grade and it gave much better control.

Next came a covering of black, marine-grade vinyl which was glued on with Selley's Kwik Grip.

And here's the final result! It feels a bit like sitting on a plank of wood, but as I've said before - this bike is more about form than function  2wink

I'm still finalising the mudguard and rear lighting, but hope to be back on the road in a week or so.

Cheers,
Wayne

Mins Man

« Reply #57 on: 09-Jan-11, 21:16 »
That's a very professional looking job Wayne, but I think you're right, I wouldn't like to ride it for very long!

8Track

« Reply #58 on: 10-Jan-11, 08:52 »
Looks great Wayne,

Personally I think with such a thin pad, high density foam would be better for comfort, with a thin layer of flock as well.

Your workmanship on the project is very impressive. Bike is looking great!

Cheers,

Mark

Excalibre

« Reply #59 on: 10-Jan-11, 10:09 »
Personally I think with such a thin pad, high density foam would be better for comfort, with a thin layer of flock as well.

You're probably right. Unfortunately I took the advice of the 'expert' at Clark Rubber. He was even trying to direct towards an even lighter density!
I'll see how it goes, it wouldn't be too much trouble to pull off the vinyl and re-do the job with different foam if neccessary.

Wayne

Mins Man

« Reply #60 on: 10-Jan-11, 14:15 »
I reckon a gel seat would be the go for such a thin seat.

Steve F

« Reply #61 on: 10-Jan-11, 19:39 »
Looks good  happy0065 I used 3 different layers for my seat, one of those yoga style mats for the bottom, high density foam for the middle and a flocked cloth for the top.  It's pretty firm and I rode it to Cowra and back in a day no problems, ignore all these softeys, a Cafe racer is not about comfort  2wink

Cheers
Steve

Excalibre

« Reply #62 on: 10-Jan-11, 20:42 »
.........ignore all these softeys, a Cafe racer is not about comfort  2wink

2funny, well said  2tongue

(although I may be joining the ranks of the softeys after a few rides)

doddsy1000

« Reply #63 on: 10-Jan-11, 23:05 »
ignore all these softeys,

Did he mention that his voice was an octave higher as well?  lmao lmao lmao

rat_ cx

« Reply #64 on: 12-Jan-11, 21:59 »
my seet base is like wet suit rubber but about an inch thick. i have done a few 2 hour rides and it is more comfortable than my yamaha r6 was

Excalibre

« Reply #65 on: 13-Jan-11, 11:45 »
Thanks for the tips.

I hope to be able to do a test ride in the next few days. I think it'll be OK for my purposes, but if not I do have some spare vinyl and it won't be too much trouble to pull it apart and re-upholster it with some denser padding.
Or maybe I could lose a few kilos myself instead  rolleye0012

Wayne

Steve F

« Reply #66 on: 13-Jan-11, 12:03 »
Thanks for the tips.

I hope to be able to do a test ride in the next few days. I think it'll be OK for my purposes, but if not I do have some spare vinyl and it won't be too much trouble to pull it apart and re-upholster it with some denser padding.
Or maybe I could lose a few kilos myself instead  rolleye0012

Wayne

Just don't loose them off the arse, the built in padding helps ;)

Cheers
Steve

shnorkel

« Reply #67 on: 13-Jan-11, 22:08 »
G'day Wayne,

Going back a couple of posts.  How are the gauges operating?  Did you use the original speedo/tacho cables and did they need altering to make them functional?

BTW bike looks Tip Top

Peter

Excalibre

« Reply #68 on: 13-Jan-11, 23:11 »
Going back a couple of posts.  How are the gauges operating?  Did you use the original speedo/tacho cables and did they need altering to make them functional?

Thanks Peter,

The gauges are working fine. The original speedo/tacho cables just screwed straight in and no alterations were required. Connecting the wires was fairly logical, just needed a combination of wiring diagram, multimeter and a bit of trial and error. The indicator light was the only bit I found a bit tricky as the original set up is for L & R and the new gauge has a single LED. I ended up connecting it directly to the flasher unit and it flashes out of sync with the blinkers themselves, but still achieves what it has to.

Also one of my gauges has an LED backlight (bright white) and the other is a conventional globe (more yellow). Eventually I'll make them both the same.

Cheers,
Wayne

Excalibre

« Reply #69 on: 15-Jan-11, 23:10 »
Test ride tomorrow!  party0024

Rear 'horn' notches welded, ground back and painted (I was too embarrassed to take a photo of my welding before the grinding)

1. Original inner guard cut down and new chrome guard section ready to assemble.
2. Tail light fitted and wired, grommets used where wiring passes through guard. I added and extra earth wire for good measure.
3. Bottom view

I had to modify the rear indicator stems for my purposes.
1. Original set-up
2. Rear stems shortened, with a longer threaded section.
3. As mounted, the extended threaded section is to attach a new bracket that supports the mudguard.

Final assembly. The guard is supported by the new bracket between the indicators, a single locating bolt in front of the cross member, and some longer bolts where the inner guard attaches to the cross member which now go all the way through the new guard as well.

And finally some gratuitous pics with the seat on and ready to ride  fietsertour

So it's off on a test ride tomorrow after a few last minute jobs, yeehar!  fietsertour

CX PHREAK

« Reply #70 on: 15-Jan-11, 23:17 »
 happy0159

Seagrass

« Reply #71 on: 16-Jan-11, 09:36 »
Looking good happy0158

Seagrass

Excalibre

« Reply #72 on: 16-Jan-11, 14:59 »
Test ride went great  happy0062

Rode to the Amberlight cafe at Lobethal in the Adelaide hills. Great fun in the twisties.
The seat was a bit firm but not really noticeable unless stuck droning along in traffic. I'd describe it as 'fit for purpose', which is showing off  2wink
I think my back and neck would give out before my backside anyway.

It certainly got some attention parked out the front of the cafe, here's me holding audience with some fans and signing a few autographs  rolleye0012

Arty0012

« Reply #73 on: 16-Jan-11, 15:18 »
Judging by the stance It could be they are p-ddling on it

Excalibre

« Reply #74 on: 16-Jan-11, 17:12 »
Judging by the stance It could be they are p-ddling on it

Ahhh, I'd assumed it was leaking fuel  2wink

Website and forum protected by
┬áSTOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal