Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Wayne's cafe racer project  (Read 14168 times)

Excalibre

Re: Wayne's cafe racer project
« Reply #25 on: 17-Dec-10, 09:51 »
Hi all,

A bit more progress over the last few days.

Firstly some new classic styled grid pattern grips.

And I've finally made a start on the rear end. I won't go into too much detail as to a large extent I'll be shamelessly stealing a lot of Steve's ideas.  NotWorthy
Firstly every thing has been removed from the rear, including the seat catches.

I want the front of the seat to be as low as possible, so I trimmed away all of the rubber mounting block at the rear of the tank except for the bottom pieces that the tank rests on. Later on I'll glue these in place.

As per Steve's build, I had to cut notches in the rear sub-frame 'horns' and bend them in a bit so that the new seat will fit over them.
I have to resurrect some long lost welding skills now to fill the gaps back in. It won't be pretty, but nothing an angle grinder and some paint won't fix.
I then bent the back of the 'horns' out again slightly so that the welded nuts are square again as I'll be using them to mount the new indicators.

Here's the seat in it's final resting place. I've made a cut-out for the tank mounting bolt so that the front of the seat is as low as possible. I don't plan to be able to access this bolt while the seat is in place so it will eventually be hidden under the seat padding.

Finally, here's a view with the custom side-covers fitted. It looks a bit odd with everything being a different colour but I really like the shape and proportions.
I haven't quite figured out how to fill the gap between the seat and the side-cover but I'm thinking of fitting a some stainless steel mesh to make it a feature rather than trying to hide it.

I'm in the process of making the frame to go underneath the seat. Subject to welding disasters I hope to get it finished over the weekend.

Cheers,
Wayne

Moose

« Reply #26 on: 17-Dec-10, 18:57 »
Gees, it's looking good thus far!

rat_ cx

« Reply #27 on: 17-Dec-10, 19:25 »
i did the same thing with cutting notches in the fear sub frames. I couldnt bring my self to cut them all the way off so i thought this was the better option

CX PHREAK

« Reply #28 on: 18-Dec-10, 18:53 »
 happy0159

Excalibre

« Reply #29 on: 19-Dec-10, 12:34 »
Thanks guys,

The tail light arrived a couple of days ago.
Now I need to find a section of chrome mud guard to attach it to. Off to the wreckers next week.

Wayne

Capt. Furious

« Reply #30 on: 19-Dec-10, 13:30 »
Looking good Wayne.

Where did you get your seat hump from?

rat_ cx

« Reply #31 on: 19-Dec-10, 19:39 »
Thanks guys,

The tail light arrived a couple of days ago.
Now I need to find a section of chrome mud guard to attach it to. Off to the wreckers next week.

Wayne

i have a chrome rear gurd off a custom you can have if you want it but you will have to come to murray bridge to get it

Excalibre

« Reply #32 on: 19-Dec-10, 22:09 »

Where did you get your seat hump from?

I bought it on eBay. Someone had got it for a project but didn't end up using it.
I'm pretty sure it's the same as the one Steve F. used on his cafe build, which came from:

http://www.roccitycafe.com/store.php

Wayne

Excalibre

« Reply #33 on: 19-Dec-10, 22:16 »
i have a chrome rear gurd off a custom you can have if you want it but you will have to come to murray bridge to get it

Hmmm, I may very well be interested.
What sort of condition is it in, i.e. can it be used as-is or would it need re-chroming etc?
It doesn't have to be perfect, but I'd like to get something than can be used straight away.

rat_ cx

« Reply #34 on: 19-Dec-10, 22:19 »
its not rusty but it has a few scratches. i also have the one of my sr250 which is a bit better condition

Excalibre

« Reply #35 on: 19-Dec-10, 22:52 »
its not rusty but it has a few scratches. i also have the one of my sr250 which is a bit better condition

I might be interested in one or both. Would you mind measuring the width of each guard, and also the width at the mounting point (bearing in mind I've bent in the rear sub-frame where the CX custom guard would normally be attached).

Also could you measure the distance between the outer points of the tail-light mounting holes. I need to make sure they'll be hidden underneath my new tail-light mount.

Cheers,
Wayne

Excalibre

« Reply #36 on: 21-Dec-10, 22:26 »
Got the seat frame welded up today.  party0024

The welding improved as I went along, it's not pretty but it'll do the job.
I still need to attach a couple of locating lugs on the front bar that will slot in under the tank mounting bracket.
My plan is to stick a couple of rubber or nylon blocks under the centre cross member that will rest on the existing cross member on the bikes frame. That way the riders weight will be supported right below their/my bum.

The rubber /nylon block will go in here

So it's off to Bunnings tomorrow for some bits and pieces to finish the job.  happy0158

Cheers,
Wayne

Capt. Furious

« Reply #37 on: 22-Dec-10, 06:45 »
Hi Wayne, this the set up I am using for my rearsets, based on this guys build.
http://s683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/nikoscxducati/#!cpZZ4QQtppZZ20

I am thinking of buying a set of these:
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-custom-motorcycle-universal-aluminum-loaded-gun-rearsets-lgc-rearsets.html

Though I do have a Fitter/Machinist mate that can make them for me as well.

The rear brake side is pretty easy to do as well using a set of rearsets like these. I've got some thick aluminium plate I can make the mounting plates from,,,, complete with Speed Holes of course  happy0158

Excalibre

« Reply #38 on: 22-Dec-10, 08:21 »
That's some fancy engineering  2shocked

That set from dimecity looks nice.
Don't forget the 'go-fast carbon fibre' as well as the 'speed holes'  2wink

I still haven't decided if I'll use rearsets yet. I'll wait and see how it all feels when the seat is finished.

Capt. Furious

« Reply #39 on: 22-Dec-10, 08:30 »
With my clipons and the standard seat I definetly need rearsets. So I am guessing with the new seat I will really really need them  happy0159

I have been riding with just my toes on my standard pegs and occasionaly I move my feet back and sit them on my pipes for a stretch.

Having clipons does mean I am cranked right over though. The clubmens might sit you up a touch more.

Capt. Furious

« Reply #40 on: 22-Dec-10, 08:31 »
Can't remember where I found these but this is an easy fix.

rat_ cx

« Reply #41 on: 22-Dec-10, 12:58 »
wow i like the easy fix..I might have to do that as well

Capt. Furious

« Reply #42 on: 22-Dec-10, 13:07 »
wow i like the easy fix..I might have to do that as well

Nice and simple isn't it.

I would have used that set up but my pegs will be back where the passenger pegs used to be mounted. So I'll be going with the linkages to operate my shifter.

Excalibre

« Reply #43 on: 22-Dec-10, 21:13 »
Can't remember where I found these but this is an easy fix.

I like the easy fix too. Neat, simple and presumably effective.

Excalibre

« Reply #44 on: 24-Dec-10, 18:50 »

I found myself at Birdwood today so I picked up a rear guard at Bill's Bits and Bikes, thanks anyway.
I have no idea what the guard came off, but it will suit my purposes perfectly. I can even use the existing holes to mount my tail light!  2smiley

CX PHREAK

« Reply #45 on: 24-Dec-10, 18:58 »
 It's great that places like Bill's bits and bikes still exist..... as opposed to places like Bills.

jhovel

« Reply #46 on: 24-Dec-10, 20:28 »
A suggestion - and only that:
take the black paint off the top triple clamp and fuse box cover and polish them. That will really go with your look andset it off from "the crowd". I would also polish the ignition lock body!

rat_ cx

« Reply #47 on: 25-Dec-10, 02:54 »
take the black paint off the top triple clamp and fuse box cover and polish them. That will really go with your look andset it off from "the crowd". I would also polish the ignition lock body!

thats what i did

Excalibre

« Reply #48 on: 25-Dec-10, 16:19 »

Good suggestion, I probably will end up doing that down the track. Incidentally, what's the recommended method for removing paint prior to polishing? Paint stripper?

For the time being I'm working on getting the mechanical and engineering side of things sorted out.

rat_ cx

« Reply #49 on: 25-Dec-10, 23:01 »
i just rubbed mine off with sand paper. It came off quite easy with some 180 wet rub  then i worked down in grades of wet rub to 400 then 600 800 till i got to 2000g then hit it with the polish

you could try the stripper but try a little section first to make sure it doesn't damage the alloy. I don't think it will though

Website and forum protected by
┬áSTOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal