Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: CX 650 noise ?  (Read 74 times)

Zenawarrior

CX 650 noise ?
« Started on: 11-Nov-20, 09:53 »
My CX 650 have suddenly developed a screaming noise from the front of the engine. I'm wondering what is causing it, and it's very loud, but it didn't affect the running of the engine. I then noticed the tacho got unstable, therefore I've taken the front cam cover of, but can't see anything obvious except inside aren't as shiny as I would have expected from a bearing surface. Pulling the clutch leaver made no difference.  I was about 20 km from home when it began, so I turned around and went home at very low speed and the sound decreased a lot after a while, but didn't go away. Is it possible that engine needs a total rebuild, since oil light will blink at warm idle 1000 rpm.

Seagrass

Re: CX 650 noise ?
« Reply #1 on: 11-Nov-20, 12:43 »
The sound is probably the speedo or tachometer cable, this is a common problem. Try undoing the cables a little at the instrument cluster and see if problem goes away.

These engines need to idle at around 1,200 to 1,500. 1,000 is too low as the oil pressure at those RPM’s (as you had found).

Seagrass

muzza

« Reply #2 on: 12-Nov-20, 04:21 »
try lubing the tacho cable , and while its off , try lubing the drive in the tacho head with a couple of drops of fine oil - like sewing machine oil. Do not give it a squirt of CRC or WD40 or you will get oil mist on the inside of the lens and forever have obscured glass

Zenawarrior

« Reply #3 on: 12-Nov-20, 18:31 »
Thank you guys, that's exactly what it was, and to make sure I made a `screwdriver` and spun the cable with a cordless and that made a horrible noise.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal