Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: no power under load  (Read 86 times)

rjdownunder000

no power under load
« Started on: 02-Nov-20, 22:05 »
My 1981 CX500 Custom was running fine but lately started with a slight hesitation when opening the throttle fast. I removed and cleaned the carburetors, replaced all o-rings with new purchased revision kits and also replaced both vacuum diaphragms. I can't find any acceleration pump as mentioned in my manual and checked my carburetor set 3x for it. The bike starts fine but have absolutely no power under load. Unfortunately I don't have an ultra-sonic cleaner (guess this will be what I'm going to ask Santa LOL).
Can someone please give me some fresh ideas or just tell me to clean the carburetors (again) but with more sophisticated equipment instead of compressed air?
Thanks.

CX PHREAK

Re: no power under load
« Reply #1 on: 02-Nov-20, 23:35 »
If you don't have an ultrasonic you can soak the carbs in solvent.

The catch is that they must be completely disassembled to remove all rubber and plastic parts.

You could soak, then boil them in water.

Seagrass

« Reply #2 on: 03-Nov-20, 07:51 »
Cleaning the carbies is not just removing the bowls and jets etc.

These carbies have emulsion tubes below the jets and these need to be removed and cleaned (descaled) and the very fine holes cleaned out.

There is a very good manual “Larry’s guide to CX carbies” or similar that takes you through all of the required steps of first separating the carbies and then a full tear down, clean and reassemble. This procedure needs some extra tools that you may not have including a set of very fine drills. I have the book and after looking at the procedure I chose to send my carbies to CX Phreak as Mark has done many sets of these and has all the tools and knows what to look for when cleaning.

Hope this helps,

Seagrass

rjdownunder000

« Reply #3 on: 03-Nov-20, 08:33 »
Hi Mark

I read that Cephas send you a set for cleaning. Are you still doing that for others?

Thanks
Ron

CX PHREAK

« Reply #4 on: 03-Nov-20, 13:27 »
PM sent.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

Puggle
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal