Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: So I've been restoring my 650e and......  (Read 203 times)

Zenawarrior

So I've been restoring my 650e and......
« Started on: 23-Aug-20, 19:28 »
and now it wont run. Not a full restoration just basic things like chroming, brakes, seals, carby clean, new tyres etc. It fires but wont idle, pops thru the carby and dies. It ran beautifully before I started restoring, so my question is if it can be because I haven't fitted the filter box. I did remove the carbys again and did another clean, just in case, but it's still the same.

Seagrass

Re: So I've been restoring my 650e and......
« Reply #1 on: 23-Aug-20, 20:03 »
The filter box is not needed to make the bike run correctly so you have some other problem.

Did you work on the rear of the motor where the pickup sensors are? These can cause funny problems if not adjusted properly. Alternately it could be spark plugs, igniters or the carby’s.

If you have not completely disassembled the carby’s (removing all the emulsion tubes etc) then the carby’s are likely not to be clean as the emulsion tubes get calcified from fuel deposits which cause rough running etc.

Seagrass

Zenawarrior

« Reply #2 on: 23-Aug-20, 20:21 »
I only changed the waterpump seal as a precaution, I fitted new sparkplugs, and I had the emoulsion tubes out and cleaned. Tomorrow I'll check the valve clearance and do a compression test. But before I started the resto I started the engine after 18 years, and it went really well so what could have changed in the year it have taken to get to a road worthy stage.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #3 on: 23-Aug-20, 21:45 »
Check all of the electrical connectors for the ignition system. you may have dislodged something.

Seagrass

« Reply #4 on: 24-Aug-20, 07:36 »
If you changed the spark plugs then you may have caused a problem with the spark plug caps.

The spark plug caps have a 5,000 Ohm resistor in them which can go open circuit or to a very high resistance.

What spark plug brand and type did you install? There are reports on this forum that members that used a resistor spark plug found the CX650 would not run properly (Even though the resistor plug is recommended). If you still have the old spark plugs it might be worth trying them to see if the bike runs properly.

Seagrass

Zenawarrior

« Reply #5 on: 24-Aug-20, 08:52 »
Spark plugs same brand and range. It will fire and run a few seconds and puff pushing a cloud out the carby, long enough to get heat on the exhaust pipes evenly. I'm suspecting leaking valves and carbon buildup causing "misfire"? But it ran fine before resto began. I wonder if spraying gasket remover in on the intake valves and on the piston crown would help. I used to clean pistons with it.

Seagrass

« Reply #6 on: 24-Aug-20, 10:33 »
I doubt it will be carbon build up and leaking valves.

I suspect you are overthinking it, start with the simple things (Spark, air, timing) and work from there.

Check your electrical connections and make sure the battery is good AND fully charged.

Seagrass

Zenawarrior

« Reply #7 on: 24-Aug-20, 15:02 »
today I checked valve clearance .... defiantly too tight, so I adjusted them to 4 and 5 thou and bugger me it started and ran nicely.
So thank you and now I'll finish it and put some picture on here.

Zenawarrior

« Reply #8 on: 24-Aug-20, 16:35 »
Engine idling nicely around 6-700 rpm and revs up quickly, but if I open the throttle to full it hesitate , main jet is 118 and the needle is not adjustable except if I undo the screw I think and fit a washer under it, I read somewhere. Apart from that, I'm only having a fight with the o-rings breaking when I fit the 2 coolant chrome pipe, didn't think it they would cause a bit of a headache.

Seagrass

« Reply #9 on: 24-Aug-20, 18:24 »
There is a special “flat” “O” ring that you can get from Honda that fits onto the water pump end of the chrome pipe.

This was specified on the CX500 Euro and I believe it is also listed as the part for the CX650. I find these O rings to fit much better on the 500 Euro and I have never had a leak, even when they are reused.

Seagrass

Dragonstaff

« Reply #10 on: 24-Aug-20, 20:16 »
There is a special “flat” “O” ring that you can get from Honda that fits onto the water pump end of the chrome pipe.

Seagrass

Otherwise, I found lots of Vaseline helped.

Zenawarrior

« Reply #11 on: 26-Aug-20, 10:00 »
 :2afro:

Zenawarrior

« Reply #12 on: 26-Aug-20, 18:08 »
Today I finished the bike and took it for a ride on my property. It's not perfect by any means, because I'm not going to spend years restoring, secondly I don't have the expertise and the perseverance
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Zenawarrior

« Reply #13 on: 27-Aug-20, 09:41 »
Tried to upload pictures, no go, so I downloaded Photo Bucket, but haven't got any response.

jhovel

« Reply #14 on: 27-Aug-20, 15:19 »
Don't use Photobucket. When you stop paying them your photos will disappear....
Just upload the photos to your album here and post them in your messages....

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

Puggle
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal