Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: What's happening today? (2020)  (Read 1075 times)

VC3

Re: What's happening today? (2020)
« Reply #100 on: 23-May-20, 03:40 »
Agree with you about the price....I wonder where he got the new engine?  It does look new, not rebuilt.

When selling bikes or gear or whatnot, like the big collection of kayaks and gear I sold yesterday, its important (to me) to pass them along to someone you like and that will enjoy them.  Kind of like giving a beloved pet away.  So, don't regret not asking more....

I would have taken a look at that local CT-90 but by the time we finished up with the kayak sale, the bike was gone.  Only lasted a few hours.

white knight

« Reply #101 on: 23-May-20, 06:29 »
So,Victor and Harry,just thought I would let you know that the C90 Trial bikes have become a big hit with the Hipsters in NZ-So-I guess its hair buns and oiled beards for you guys from now on.

VC3

« Reply #103 on: 23-May-20, 12:08 »
So,Victor and Harry,just thought I would let you know that the C90 Trial bikes have become a big hit with the Hipsters in NZ-So-I guess its hair buns and oiled beards for you guys from now on.

We're already there, Chris.....except that I'm hair-challenged...... rolleye0012.........can't manage a bun..........

I keep eyeballing that restored '71 DT-1.  In what world does that bike sell for over $1000 less than a CT-90?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Mins Man

« Reply #105 on: 23-May-20, 12:31 »
Yup, just what we need at our age....a long term project.   2idiot

white knight

« Reply #106 on: 24-May-20, 06:58 »
If I lived within 500 miles of that Dit One Victor I would buy it in a flash,maybe because it has a DT3 motor in it (not sure what that is)makes it not "original" therefore a lower price who knows.I have a friend here who wrote a very nice book "Great Classic Motorcycles and People" and the Dit One was there alongside Manx Nortons,Egli Vincents,Suzy XR69's et al need I say more.Go on mate ,buy the bloody thing,then you really could oil your beard and get away with it. fietsertour

Onetrack

« Reply #107 on: 24-May-20, 08:30 »
A long time ago I purchased a DT1 new, it was very disappointing, the rear brake collapsed at 85 kph locking the back wheel on a busy highway when only one month old, it went on to suffer constant seizures due to improperly designed oil pump. Never ending electrical faults, I sold it when only 6 months old. I traded it on a Kawasaki 650 W2 (BSA look alike). I must admit I used the DT1 in a way it was not designed - touring about NSW.  The last Yamaha I ever owned.
"Young" Les F

white knight

« Reply #108 on: 24-May-20, 09:26 »
Thats sad Les,mind you they sold over 70,000 of them,maybe you just struck a bad one rolleye0012

VC3

« Reply #109 on: 24-May-20, 11:31 »
If I lived within 500 miles of that Dit One Victor I would buy it in a flash,maybe because it has a DT3 motor in it (not sure what that is)makes it not "original" therefore a lower price who knows.I have a friend here who wrote a very nice book "Great Classic Motorcycles and People" and the Dit One was there alongside Manx Nortons,Egli Vincents,Suzy XR69's et al need I say more.Go on mate ,buy the bloody thing,then you really could oil your beard and get away with it. fietsertour

DT3's were just a later model of the DT1:

https://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_DT3

VC3

« Reply #110 on: 24-May-20, 12:11 »
A long time ago I purchased a DT1 new, it was very disappointing, the rear brake collapsed at 85 kph locking the back wheel on a busy highway when only one month old, it went on to suffer constant seizures due to improperly designed oil pump. Never ending electrical faults, I sold it when only 6 months old. I traded it on a Kawasaki 650 W2 (BSA look alike). I must admit I used the DT1 in a way it was not designed - touring about NSW.  The last Yamaha I ever owned.
"Young" Les F

You must have gotten a lemon.....all the Yamaha enduros, AT1 125's, CT1 175's DT1 250's and the RT1 360 (plus they made a 90cc model - my sister had one) were all pretty much bullet proof.  We lived in Hawaii for a year while my father was in Viet Nam and all three kids had used Yamaha enduros to ride to school.  I traded my 125 in on a '71 RT1-B 360, best motorcycle I've owned or ridden.  It was great on the street, highway and off road....none of the bikes gave us a minute of problem and they got ridden hard.  Only maintenence issue with RT1's was plugs - it wanted a new plug frequently.

Onetrack

« Reply #111 on: 24-May-20, 14:16 »

Only maintenance issue with RT1's was plugs - it wanted a new plug frequently.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the ravishing plug diet that the dealer put down to using Shell (Indonesian) petrol in a two stroke. In those days Shell petrol in NSW was made from poor quality Indonesian crude and had high levels of lead to lift the octane rating.

"Young" Les F

VC3

« Reply #112 on: 25-May-20, 06:50 »
Today's temptation on my local Craigslist - he had a '74 TL125 up too, for $500, which is gone.  This XL125 is $650, titled.

https://olympic.craigslist.org/mcy/d/carlsborg-1976-honda-xl125/7129357880.html

Mins Man

« Reply #113 on: 25-May-20, 10:09 »
Geez, that one's gone too! You need to get up earlier Victor.

VC3

« Reply #114 on: 25-May-20, 10:37 »

No kidding.....I was surprised it and the TL125 lasted as long as they did - they were posted some time yesterday.  He sold them both just crazy cheap for titled bikes...even without titles they went for half price.  I bet someone sold the muffler off that TL125 - an NOS muffler assembly for that bike is on EBay for $1250..

VC3

« Reply #115 on: 26-May-20, 15:23 »

That XL125's back, listed on CL in Seattle's postings but with a Port Angeles origin - PA is 15 mi west of where he bought it.  Although he can't spell Honda, he has a better sense of its worth:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/d/port-angeles-1976-hobda-xl-125/7130231427.html

VC3

« Reply #116 on: 26-May-20, 15:47 »
Has anyone heard of or seen one of these in person?  The engine is a knock-off of a 400cc Honda, apparently.

http://www.genuinescooters.com/g400c.html

muzza

« Reply #117 on: 27-May-20, 04:18 »
one of the multitude of Japanese Home Market 400cc bikes that dont often escape . Think GB 400/500

VC3

« Reply #118 on: 27-May-20, 04:46 »
one of the multitude of Japanese Home Market 400cc bikes that dont often escape . Think GB 400/500

Hi Muzza, how are you?

Actually, that's a Chinese bike and they are apparently being sold in the US.  I haven't seen anything on them other than what I found on the Genuine Buddy site.  I only learned about them in an article on the Chinese motorcycle industry, which was an interesting read:

https://www.roadrunner.travel/blog/2019/07/11/the-chinese-motorcycle-industry-a-broad-look/

Mins Man

« Reply #119 on: 27-May-20, 11:07 »
I don't think that I agree that China no longer makes inferior products, which is why I worry about my beloved Postie which is made in China under licence to Honda.
It will be interesting to see what the effect of this virus has on China's imports. I feel that we should be supporting our local industries, but it's hard to find products that aren't made in China these days.

VC3

« Reply #120 on: 27-May-20, 12:03 »
I don't think that I agree that China no longer makes inferior products, which is why I worry about my beloved Postie which is made in China under licence to Honda.
It will be interesting to see what the effect of this virus has on China's imports. I feel that we should be supporting our local industries, but it's hard to find products that aren't made in China these days.

Your current Postie was made in China?  Or the newer versions? 

I've wondered why one of the Chinese manufacturers didn't offer a knock-off CT110.  Honda's bringing it back as a 125, starting in Japan:

https://advrider.com/the-honda-ct125-hunter-cub/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=05_26_2020

Mins Man

« Reply #121 on: 28-May-20, 11:32 »
Yes Victor, I upgraded from the CT110 (actually 105cc) to a 2013 NBC110 (109cc) over 2 years ago because kick starting the old bike agravated my dodgy hip. I find it's a better bike with it having fuel injection and a starter motor, but it is made in China which makes me wonder how long it will last. I think that possibly just these Australia Post bikes are made in China and Japan still makes the Super Cubs.
There is a limited edition C125 available here in Oz with the bigger engine and disc brakes, but it's about $7K to buy and competes directly with all the scooters on the market.
But there's still some cheap ones around if you're lucky. rolleye0012

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-honda-ct-trail-90/?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-05-27

doddsy1000

« Reply #122 on: 28-May-20, 17:31 »
While we're still not too far from trail bikes,  I read yesterday that Honda will stop bringing Quad bikes into Australia at the end of next year I think it was.

Apparently that's a continued effect of Australian design rule changes.

Honda had apparently tried to lobby for the existing safety,  but were ignored. 

Another era ends.

muzza

« Reply #123 on: 29-May-20, 04:23 »
The Insurance Industry will have killed quad bikes in the USA - and thats the biggest market . Im surprised we can still get them in NZ - but there are more and more of those side-by-side monstrosities out there now . The Goldwing of the four-wheeler world

muzza

« Reply #124 on: 29-May-20, 04:32 »
Morning Victor.

Thats actually a pretty wee motorcycle . I hope the bright work is better produced than most chinese chrome or it will fall off in about a year.

We stopped getting the proper postie bikes in NZ in about 2010. The went to a silly - chinese - three wheeled thing that fell over often and wasnt very reliable , use all manner of scooters now.

Website and forum protected by
┬áSTOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

Puggle
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal