Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Look what I found  (Read 276 times)

Bert63

Look what I found
« Started on: 18-Mar-20, 18:38 »
Picked up a custom a while back.    Tacko not working.    No big deal broken cable.     Allen key head bolt stripped in the holder.    A few hours later after various bits on an extension. Got it out .     Cable seized?
Source new pan head 5 mm stainless screw and find a second hand cable in the stuff,   Fit it all up....
Still no tacko.   
 Ok broken drive tab from seized cable.     I wish.......

Remove radiator and fan then. 

See photo.......
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Stripped cam shaft

Seagrass

Re: Look what I found
« Reply #1 on: 18-Mar-20, 19:01 »
Yes, this is not an uncommon problem when the cable or drive gear has seized.

Seagrass

muzza

« Reply #2 on: 19-Mar-20, 04:13 »
My650ED has the same problem. I just dont worry about it

bahn88

« Reply #3 on: 22-Mar-20, 16:25 »
electronic tacho an option?

My Cx500 temperature gauge was so temperamental-even following the great advice here-I ended up fitting a digital temp gauge (handlebar mount) but kept the other gauges stock....

muzza

« Reply #4 on: 23-Mar-20, 04:21 »
You dont actually need a tacho. You can ride quite happily with just the speedo . Unless you are racing , knowing what rpms you are doing is academic. Earlier bikes didnt have tachos and they operated more than happily.

white knight

« Reply #5 on: 23-Mar-20, 06:58 »
I agree-Wait until it starts to rattle then back the throttle off a tad :oilleak:

CXCafe

« Reply #6 on: 24-Mar-20, 15:25 »
Hi, I'm rebuilding a '81 Custom and don't want to use the mechanical tacho, particularly since the seal in the drive is stuck and I can't move it. Was thinking to blank it off and either use an electronic tach or not bother at all, depending on what speedo I end up with.
Any advice on getting the horrible little oil seal (Pn. 91211-415-003 oil seal 6x14.5x5) out and where to get a new one? Local bearing guy says not a common size and Honda dealer says "no longer available"..... Or how to blank it off?
Cheers.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #7 on: 24-Mar-20, 15:30 »
You can remove the engine end of the tacho cable.

Cut it off of the cable. Block the centre by tapping a thread and screwing in a screw or just silicon something in there and silicon the cable end into the tach drive.

CXCafe

« Reply #8 on: 24-Mar-20, 15:44 »
Thanks. Sounds so obvious when you put it like that..... I'll do that.
Cheers.

Website and forum protected by
┬áSTOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal