Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Anyone got a spare fuel tap?  (Read 150 times)

jhovel

Anyone got a spare fuel tap?
« Started on: 11-Apr-20, 19:02 »
I'm currently putting together a Shadow for another forum member, but I'm missing a fuel tap. .. I've taken the one off my Euro bike to complete the resurrection, but still need one....
Does anyone have a spare they could sell me please? Im not fussy what model it comes from.

Cheers,

Joe

Kathy

Re: Anyone got a spare fuel tap?
« Reply #1 on: 11-Apr-20, 20:15 »
@jhovel - Just letting you know that not all CX500 Shadow fuel taps are interchangeable - the 1982 CX500 Shadow tanks had a different fuel tap to the previous year models.

The 1982 fuel tap has a 18mm thread and a drain bowl; and
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

the pre-1982 fuel tap has a 16mm thread and no drain bowl.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

jhovel

« Reply #2 on: 11-Apr-20, 20:50 »
Thanks for that timely info!
Just as well I haven't put any fuel in tank yet....
The tap from my bike has indeed an 18mm thread - and in the half-dark the other day, it seemed to screw easily onto the Shadow tank - which has a 16mm thread!!!!! (1981 model).
So to correct my earlier request:
Does anyone have a spare 16mm thread fuel tap off   a pre 1982 Honda. In fact is doesn't need to come from a CX, just have both 'ON" and "RES" settings.

Cheers,

Joe

doddsy1000

« Reply #3 on: 12-Apr-20, 00:01 »
For what it's worth...

A "real" fuel tap is a good plan.

I used a Chinese eBay tap on "The Wasp" 500 Euro in 2012 which was badly sealed with clear silicone.

The story goes that I took 17 & 1/4 hours to get from Melbourne to Bathurst when the silicon created an invisible blockage in my fuel filter.  It looked fine, but the fuel would stop flowing intermittently for no visible reason.

Of course, it took 4 roadside repair attempts before I could find out why the bike kept stopping.

The 2 other events of that trip were that I also left my helmet on a bullants nest on one roadside repair, even though I'd put in on the bitumen surface.

And it was Friday the 13th.

I wish you better luck with your fuel tap mate.  lmao lmao lmao

Website and forum protected by
┬áSTOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

Puggle
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal