Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: buying a US import in OZ-new Vass certificate needed??  (Read 240 times)

bahn88

Hi all,
hoping some members may help.
Hoping to buy a US import previously registered in Victoria on club reg. (reg now cancelled)

Vic roads tells me I'll need a engineer's certificate VASS approval certificate prior to being able to re-register it again.
Anyone had a similar experience?-or can shed some light on approximate cost of Vass certificates

Cheers.

Seagrass

Mins man (Harry) is in Melbourne and has imported some bikes and cars over the years so he might be the one to ask.

Seagrass

Kathy

Hoping to buy a US import previously registered in Victoria on club reg. (reg now cancelled)

Vic roads tells me I'll need a engineer's certificate VASS approval certificate prior to being able to re-register it again.
I'm really surprised Vic Roads are asking for an approval certificate for a vehicle that was previously registered in Victoria. 

If the advice you were given was from an inspection station it may be worth contacting a different one or the Vic Roads Head Office. 

When my son was living in Melbourne he bought a CX500 that didn't have a compliance plate and the inspector at his local Vic Roads inspection station refused to pass it for registration - it was taken to another Vic Roads inspection station and was passed without any issues.  Unfortunately some inspectors are a law unto themselves ...

bahn88

Thanks for the replies-the initial advice was from customer service/head office 2sad, and yes everyone (riders) I have spoken to since has expressed surprise as well...Vic roads issues a bulletin stating that Vass certificates are needed for imported vehicles seeking club permits without previous Australian history....I assumed this also applies to full reg. (Vass not needed with previous reg history)

I agree that trying other offices sometimes provides a solution-I once had a RWC rejected by head office cause the RWC issuer didn't date it in words (only numeric)-was told I needed another new RWC at $200 cost again-the local Vic-roads office accepted it with a signed attachment...

Mins Man

Yeah that's my understanding of the situation, that if you can prove the bike has a history in Oz, only a RWC is needed.
Age comes into it regarding Vass certificates. As I understand it, any vehicle that you import has to comply with the relevant ADRs for it's year of manufacture. Therefore my 68 Mustang didn't require a VASS cerificate but my 88 Corvette did. I had it done by a friend of my youngest son and he still charged me 800 bucks for 2 hours work.   :well:

jhovel

I think they told you some porkies to make you go away. Since the bike has a Vic rego history, it is on their books as previously registered and should be able to be registered again without question.
I think Kathy hit the nail on the head. Try elsewhere, since you didn't import it. Just don't mention anything about the importation, just focus on the previous club rego. After all, ALL bikes in Australia since the 1940s were imported from somewhere.... So that is irrelevant now that it was registered in Vic already.

bahn88

Thanks for the reply(s)-will follow your (Kathy/jhovel) suggestion.

As its late 70's model-similar to what Min Mans stated-they were suggesting a Vass certificate would be required based on year of manufacture.

As a side issue-when i contacted a Vass certificate signatory for a ball park figure for importation certification-they were very hesitant-so $800  mentioned by MM might be the lower end......

Website and forum protected by
┬áSTOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal