Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: I Need a Reg/Rec for a lithium Battery  (Read 148 times)

J.C

I Need a Reg/Rec for a lithium Battery
« Started on: 11-Feb-20, 07:26 »
Hi Guys

I need to get a new Reg/rec because I have changed to a lithium battery - Does anyone happen to have a spare one lying around that they didn't end up using?  I was hoping to get one out of Australia instead of the US its the only thing stopping me from ridding my bike after a 1-1/2 yr rebuild. 

Seagrass

Re: I Need a Reg/Rec for a lithium Battery
« Reply #1 on: 11-Feb-20, 08:04 »
J.C You probably know that you will need a reg/rec from a later model motorcycle but just in case you didn’t you now do.

Seagrass

J.C

« Reply #2 on: 11-Feb-20, 09:07 »
yes I do seagrass that's why I asked for one that works with a lithium battery!!! the current one I have works fine and isn't that old but will not work with a lithium battery, hence why I am asking for a reg/rec for a lithium.   Doh

fab

« Reply #3 on: 11-Feb-20, 10:27 »
ssb lithium battery will work with old rec/reg, I have one in my cx650 and 5 other bikes from 1970-2009 model bikes all work with this brand lithium battery and you can charge them with a normal charge no need to buy a lithium charger

J.C

« Reply #4 on: 11-Feb-20, 13:56 »
cheers although I already have a lithium battery in place and wired up so I need to change the reg/rec to suit,  I was really tight on space so had to do a lot of research into different battery sizes between the different lithium brands to get something that would suit my build.

bahn88

« Reply #5 on: 11-Feb-20, 14:35 »
does the battery give any specific recommendations for voltage charge?

Shorai models state:
"requires a charging system output of 13.1 Volts or higher at idle, and must not exceed 15.2 volts at maximum output."
Whats a standard rectifiers/regulator output? (I'm not at home to answer the output question with multimeter on my CX)

A lot of forums suggest kwaka riders having no issues with standard rectifiers and Lithium batteries

I think I can also recall some stories about AGM batteries (Motobatt) failing on CXs cause of higher peak volts....

CX PHREAK

« Reply #6 on: 11-Feb-20, 15:12 »
I have two AGM batteries. One a couple of years or so old, the other about 6. They just keep going.

When testing charging outputs on CXs I often see brief spikes to 15.4 volts from the standard RR.

J.C.

« Reply #7 on: 11-Feb-20, 17:46 »
I thought I must have forgotten starting a thread on this and then noticed the missing period!

J.C

« Reply #8 on: 11-Feb-20, 20:16 »
Haha Jc !!  My batt recommends 14.1 - 14.8max charging. I’m not sure what a standard reg/rec puts out. If anyone can tell me that would be great!! Especially if I don’t have to replace it but so far everything I have read tells me the standard reg will be to high.

J.C.

« Reply #9 on: 11-Feb-20, 23:33 »
Like CXPHREAK, I have seen them go over those figures. I wouldn’t do it, I have seen a couple of lithiums go up in flames and reducing that chance is worthwhile imho.

doddsy1000

jhovel

« Reply #11 on: 16-Feb-20, 20:28 »
My understanding was that Lithium Ion batteries have the charge controller built in, JC. Because there is more to it than jujst voltage. ALl the Lithium batteries I've ever used (e.g. cordless tools) have both a charge controller and balancing controller built in to the battery pack. On the other hand, phone and laptop batteries don't the controllers in them are in the phone/laptop.... More research required I think....

J.C.

« Reply #12 on: 16-Feb-20, 23:18 »
My understanding was that Lithium Ion batteries have the charge controller built in, JC. Because there is more to it than jujst voltage. ALl the Lithium batteries I've ever used (e.g. cordless tools) have both a charge controller and balancing controller built in to the battery pack. On the other hand, phone and laptop batteries don't the controllers in them are in the phone/laptop.... More research required I think....

Some do, some don't - or that was the case last time I checked - the last battery I bought was an EarthX one, specifically because it had the charge controller built in that many of the other ones at that time lacked.

May be different now, a couple of years on.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal