Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Starter Clutch  (Read 118 times)

gm

Starter Clutch
« Started on: 18-Jan-20, 12:41 »
good afternoon Gurus
nice to see some rain.
my journey continues into the depths of the 650.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I managed to remove the starting clutch not without some difficulties. I couldn't get the M20x1.5 bolt in the spline as the thread had been damaged so I had to clean it out with a tap.
anyway when the clutch came off I noticed two things that did not seem right.  firstly one of the rollers and plungers just fell out as I removed the clutch from the shaft.  secondly the three bolts were not torque heads they seem to be some thing different please see photo.  not sure what tool I need to remove the bolts.
also while I have your attention, I understand that the cam chain is self adjusting does this one look ok?
gm

J.C.

Re: Starter Clutch
« Reply #1 on: 18-Jan-20, 12:52 »
See if you can see this hole in the cam chain tensioner:

https://motofaction.org/motorcycles/honda-cx-gl/how-much-life-left-cam-chain-automatic-tensioner-honda-cx500-gl500-cx650-gl650/

I suspect that you can and that the chain is at the end of it's life.

Those are not stock Honda bolts there - the stock ones are available and are not expensive - looks like a 12 point fastener, though I haven't counted the points!

I would replace the starter clutch springs while you're in there - a genuine set is not expensive and if they used non-genuine fasteners for the mechanism they may not have used genuine springs (not the best logic but given how few bucks the springs are and how the non-genuine ones are reported to break it makes sense to me to replace).

gm

Re: starting cluth
« Reply #2 on: 18-Jan-20, 14:51 »
yes JC
the hole is about 75% visible.
while the motor is out are there other important things that should be replaced or checked?
I still have to do something with the cam shaft stripped thread for the impellor.  and there is some electrical cabling to be replaced.
This started out as a blockage in the carburetor.  a rather sharp learning curve for me but its an old bike and will be good when its running again.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #3 on: 18-Jan-20, 15:15 »
Hole aside, once the coil spring has opened up so that the spacing between coils is twice that of the thickness of the spring wire the adjustment has run out.

Not all auto tensioners have this hole.

J.C.

« Reply #4 on: 18-Jan-20, 16:54 »
That’s a good way of looking at it. Didn’t realise that not all have the hole. I’ll update that.

gm

« Reply #5 on: 18-Jan-20, 17:11 »
thank you
nice guess JC it is indeed 12 points.  it measures up close to a 10mm but the 10mm socket does not seem to fit (too small).
and
as for the tensioner I have the wire at .9mm and the gap at 1.33.  what is the thought on longivity in this state or should I just forget that and replace it.
gm

CX PHREAK

« Reply #6 on: 18-Jan-20, 17:22 »
The chain needs to be replaced.

My comment regarding spring spacing is more for mirror inspection where it's hard to see the whole tensioner and is only an approximate. You'd also be very lucky to see the hole if there is one.

Be aware that a new chain will likely see the tensioner rod come out half way due to wear on the sprockets.

I fitted a new chain to an auto tensioner motor a couple of days ago. With new tensioner blade, guide blade and chain this one still used up half of the available adjustment as soon as the pin was pulled.

gm

« Reply #7 on: 18-Jan-20, 21:22 »
thank you CX PHREAK
is there anything else that might benefit from inspections or replacement.
also
the 10mm socket would not fit the 12point bolt because the bolt is covered with a type of resin.  its stuck on hard so it will be a joy to remove.
gm

CX PHREAK

« Reply #8 on: 18-Jan-20, 23:29 »
That resin is unusual. I'd break it up with a fine pin punch.

You'll need new torx bolts.

gm

« Reply #9 on: 19-Jan-20, 17:06 »
good afternoon again Gurus
I eventually got the 12point bolts out they seem longer than the standard torx bolts they were very tight right to the finish.
I'm not sure how severe the damage is so theres a photo and I would be interested to hear your opinion.  one section has some noticeable ridges.
Also is it normal for the thread sleeve to protrude or have I uncovered something more sinister than just non standard bolts.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
gm

CX PHREAK

« Reply #10 on: 19-Jan-20, 17:43 »
Hard to see, but the protruding threads look like a helicoil backing out.

If so, it can be replaced.

Check that the thread is M8 x 1.25 by threading in a Honda 8 mm bolt as if they're helicoils they may have threaded to take anything they had on hand.

As your bike is a 650 it might be worth sourcing a replacement rotor froma 500 that has been kinder to the starter clutch.

I see at least one ovalled bolt hole.

A TI 500 rotor is a direct fit. CDI 500 rotor needs a mod to work.

Onetrack

« Reply #11 on: 19-Jan-20, 17:59 »
To give you renovated starter clutch an easier life you must do the starter motor  improvement fix, It is the starter motor internal fault that causes this problem with the starter clutch whereby the starter has not got enough strength to overcome the compression stroke soon enough.

https://australiancx.asn.au/forum/index.php?topic=4459.0
"Young" Les F

J.C.

« Reply #12 on: 19-Jan-20, 19:10 »
I have a CX650 rotor here that I am happy to send to you for the cost of postage if that’s easier/cheaper than fixing any broken threads etc.

gm

« Reply #13 on: 19-Jan-20, 20:32 »
Thanks CXPRHEAK I might take up JCs offer. This rotor does not look right.
Onetrack yes definitely will make the modification.
JC thanks for the generous offer I have sent you a Personal Email.  (I hope)
I will let you all know how this turns out.  the parts list is certainly growing. 
I hope others benefit from the posts and photos.
Things haven't followed the normal path.
gm

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

Puggle
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal