Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: My Turbo - refurbishment project - long winded  (Read 12691 times)

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

Re: My Turbo - refurbishment project - long winded
« Reply #175 on: 07-Sep-18, 21:57 »
I'm really thinking I just may clean the area up with some thinners - then get some sikaflex and coat the area around the hole and also around the bolt. Then see if it continues to weep. If it does - more sikaflex.... 2angel

white knight

« Reply #176 on: 08-Sep-18, 06:20 »
Sir Charles Band Aid. Prayer

Seagrass

« Reply #177 on: 08-Sep-18, 08:24 »
Very impressive artistic skills there Charlie. I warned you about using dodgy people to fix your bike, but you went ahead and used Cephas anyway. lololol  2funny
I had a similar problem with my GL 700 when I had it. A friend's son offered to help me do an oil change and over-tightened the sump bolt resulting in a crack in the sump. Fortunately it's removable on the 650 which made it easy to weld it up.

I may not bite Harry but I do have a long memory and you do sleep in a swag or tent at VJMC rallies rolleye0012

Thankfully I did not do anything on that part of the motor so "not my fault"

Seagrass

Seagrass

« Reply #178 on: 08-Sep-18, 08:26 »
Charles I would clean up the area and then patch it up with something (sikaflex, JB Weld etc) for the time being with the intention of doing a permanent fix next time the rear cover was off.

Seagrass

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #179 on: 08-Sep-18, 11:36 »
I thing you are right Cephas,

The easiest and most obvious would be just to cover it up at the moment  - when and if the motor comes out again - would be the obvious time to do a proper fix .. I was actually quite surprised at where the damage is and trying to contemplate how the damage could have occurred - apart from someone really over tightening the rear cover bolt and it has managed to break or crack the rear cover. I do have a spare motor and rear cover anyway - so no problems if it is required to be replaced.

Cheers

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #180 on: 22-Sep-18, 14:39 »
Decided this afternoon I should take the Turbo for a blurt around the block - clear the cobwebs so to speak.

Before you start Harry - it is not currently registered.

I have been starting the bike regularly, normally twice a week to keep the battery good- and let the bike run up to temperature - at least 10 minutes - voltage sits around 14.1 on the volt meter - and I know that reads a few points lower as well.

Gear on - roll the bike to the bottom of the driveway  - then start the bike up - let it idle for only a minute then off up the road slowly in first, second, third gear, round the first corner, forget to turn the blinker off - realised that about 4 corners later - having too much fun.

The bike sounds noisy - or seems to be to me - lots of rear end noise and backlash to a degree- using rear brake around the corners - but when accelerating - it seems sluggish to the point and  take a while to pick up - but when it does - the turbo kicks in a bit after 4000 rpm and then it just whooshes very quickly. I think I was also just staying in third gear as well - so probably a shift down to second and then see how it performs might be a better judge.

I think I annoyed the neighbourhood enough for 10 minutes - so put the bike back up the driveway. Never got to 5th gear - might do the same tomorrow - but keep it in 2nd gear a bit longer and see if the riding performance increases, just to be sure.

Cheers and beers guys.

Charlie

Seagrass

« Reply #181 on: 22-Sep-18, 16:02 »
The turbos are quite unresponsive below around 3,000RPM and you will learn to change your riding style to suit. Once you get above 3,000RPM the bike becomes more responsive and as you have found, once over about 4,500RPM everything happens very quickly.

Have fun working it all out.

Seagrass

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #182 on: 22-Sep-18, 16:42 »
Thanks Seagrass,

I'll give it a longer run tomorrow and try to keep the revs higher when changing gear. It even felt like it was running on one cylinder when trying to accelerate in third gear, and sluggish.

thanks

Charlie

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #183 on: 23-Sep-18, 16:17 »
Well just got back from running around the block 4 or 5 times, keeping the revs up in gear makes a big difference to the performance of the bike.

Speedo seems to read higher - but hard to compare without being on the road with other traffic.

There is definitely a lot of noise when I back off and that appears to be in every gear - when the bike is under load there is not a lot of transmission noise - as in throttle on and accelerating - but when it comes to easing off the throttle I hear a lot of transmission noise - or clutch basket - not sure which but I would think it is transmission.

Any suggestions on how to test for that - I know on the centre stand and in running in gear it is noisy, but apply the rear brake and it seems to quiet down a little bit.

Your thoughts as always are welcomed.

Cheers

Seagrass

« Reply #184 on: 23-Sep-18, 16:26 »
Transmission noise is a character of shaft drive motorcycles.

Under certain conditions my Honda Deauville sounds like the transmission has a can of marbles in it somewhere.

On both the Turbo and the Deauville I think the fairing/screen echo the transmission sound so it sounds even worse than what it is.

When I rode your Turbo I was not concerned with the transmission noise, even though it was a bit noisier than “normal” (what ever normal is)

Seagrass

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #185 on: 23-Sep-18, 17:26 »
Seagrass,

I'm really surprised to hear the amount of noise coming from the back end or the gearbox/transmission. Maybe next time you come over this way I might get you to ride it around the block and see if you think it has deteriorated from when you rode it last.  The only mechanical thing I have done since coming back was to loosen the rear axle and rear drive unit - I loosened the axle pinch bolt - to check something - not sure what or why. Then to do it back up - released the axle bolt, and the three nuts on the rear drive, then tightened the axle to spec, axle pinch bolt then the rear drive nuts.

Not sure if I have disturbed something during this process- but I don't think so.

thanks for your response.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #186 on: 06-Oct-18, 09:29 »
Just finished spraying the clutch and brake lever covers on the Turbo - actually did this last weekend - and because of the absolutely awful weather - the items had not fully dried until yesterday.

Thought I would put up a few pictures.

Used an epoxy paint enamel - looks OK as well.

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]    [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]    [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]    [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  

Mins Man

« Reply #187 on: 06-Oct-18, 16:55 »
Thyat's a new one on me Charlie.....using rust inhibiting paint on plastic!   2idiot

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #188 on: 06-Oct-18, 17:21 »
Harry,

To me it says - epoxy enamel - and it hasn't come off yet....lol

Plus it was the only aluminium colour or grey I could find - apart from some "cold gal zinc" I managed to find - but thought that would not look very nice... 2angel

Mins Man

« Reply #189 on: 06-Oct-18, 17:46 »
I dunno Charlie, galvanizing your plastic could be a new thing.

white knight

« Reply #190 on: 07-Oct-18, 07:20 »
Nice brand but. rolleye0012 rolleye0012

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #191 on: 07-Oct-18, 11:35 »
Hi Chris,

Lol - never even thought of you when I was using it.. shame on me.

Cheers

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #192 on: 28-Oct-18, 16:18 »
You may have seen on another post where I pushed my Turbo off the centre stand and into the house which it bounced off breaking the right blinker in the process then proceeding to fall on me and my Valkyrie I was trying to park - and obviously didn't do a good job of it.

Well I thought I would try and do a plastic weld job - also would see if a heat gun would work.

Experimented with an old custom rear lens - and thought go the heat gun first - not successful, made the plastic nice and supple - but bleached the colour out of it quite quickly.

Tried the soldering iron - left in on for 10 minutes- cleaned the tip with an old metal file - so nice shiny copper tip.  Had a few demos on the old lens - you basically need to push the tip into the plastic but not all the way through - then drag it back along the crack - quickly pulling it out, then use the liquid plastic formed and use the iron to wash from side to side along the crack pushing it back into the void- hard to explain - but reasonably simple to do. You just need to be not too heavy handed - the iron I was using is pretty lightweight and you could use a heavier wattage iron I think would yield better results. 

Decided I would have a go at doing this - so here are a few before and after shots - have since taken a bit of emery paper to the rough edges and a bit of plastic polish -I think it should be OK - seems to have made the lense not broken anymore - and is firm - no movement etc.

[ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]    [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]    [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]    [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]    [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #193 on: 28-Oct-18, 16:41 »
The Turbo has had a stumble - off idle since it has been running - and depsite changing the Pb Sensor out ((Seagrass swapped a brand new one into the bike) and I have also tried other Pb and P1 Sensors over the last few weeks)) - the stumble has not gone - even though it has not seemed to impact the running of the bike too much. I have read on the Chopper Charles forum, and investigated quite a lot with a replacement for the Pb sensor with a more up to date option. I'll provide a link to this a bit later on. Basically a later model Map sensor from a Suzuki GSXR 1000 (2000 year model), has the same voltage parameters as the CX500 Turbo. So I looked around for two of these - and had no success in Australia - the price and availability are the limiting factors. Went to ebay and found plenty in the USA - so bit the bullet and purchased two of them from the same seller at $7.20 US each - free postage to VC3, and Victor on forwarded them to me.

Picked up some small female connectors from Jaycar yesterday, got an old Pb sensor and cut the wiring connector off, then crimped three new terminal ends on, double heat shrinked the ends. Installed the new sensor this afternoon.

I left the old sensor connected and mounted on the sensor plate - just disconnected the pressure/vacuum hose from the old sensor and connected to the new sensor - and plugged back into the harness. Zip tied the new sensor out of the way on the frame rail. It won't move anywhere.

The link to the other site topic is as below:

https://cx500forum.com/forum/cx500-cx650-turbo-forum/17499-pb-sensor-replacement.html

The only thing I can say is:  I'm flabbergasted - I hit the start button, and there is NO stumble - even when dead cold it revved freely and no inkling of any stutter or stumble or cough..when it was fully warmed up it picked up the idle only about 1100-1200rpm, and before it was maybe 1000-1100rpm. So much smoother and the turbo display seems a lot smoother as well. Not sure how this all links together - but I think it is amazing.

I haven't taken any photos as yet - but really not much to see either.

Cheers

Charlie

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #194 on: 31-Oct-18, 08:45 »
Wondering why I have had a small leak of fluid from the front end of the bike - drivers side, near the brake caliper. Think I have found the culprit, running the fingers under the fork and they came away with clear oil.. So the fork is leaking and 90%sure it is from the anti-dive. Will check further on the weekend.

Looks like the oil has contaminated the disk - it has a covering of oil and more than likely the brake pads as well.

Might have to drain the fork - seal or replace the "O" ring - then refill - better do both forks - and will refill through the air caps - long and slow process.

cheers

Changed my opinion - looks like it is leaking from the top of the stanchion around the dust seal - that would mean the seal is compromised - further investigation required this weekend. 

Crap and damnation - it is leaking 

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #195 on: 31-Oct-18, 08:47 »
Started the bike on Monday night and last night - just to be sure my initial comments regarding the lack of stumble are correct..
Yes they are-  5 seconds after it starts there is no stumble or anything likely - the bike revs more freely and seems to be a lot smoother during this process.

Cheers

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #196 on: 10-Nov-18, 13:14 »
Definitely running smooth as silk on startup - and basically responsive as soon as you blip the throttle.

Making a decision early next week if I am going to send the forks away to be re chromed. The driver side stanchion is like an oily wet rag, and even though they cleaned up nicely with some wet and dry and wd40 for lubrication - they still managed to chew out the seal - only very minor pitting - but enough to damage the seals - but seals are several years old -so instead of pulling the forks and new seals and hope that is the issue - I am opting for a bit of peace of mind and throw some more money at re-chroming both and having them milled back to standard size then should be no issues while I own the bike - something I was hoping to get away with - but that ain't to be.

Oh well - what else is money for    lmao

cheers guys

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #197 on: 14-Nov-18, 17:56 »
Another great epiphany has occurred. I found some purchased fork seals for the Turbo, and upon close inspection of my fork stanchions have decided to rebuild the forks with new seals, and at the same time attempt to clean up the pitting some more, might even try and fill the pits with some epoxy.

I really don't want to spend a lot of money on re-chroming at this time.

Onetrack

« Reply #198 on: 14-Nov-18, 18:27 »
Charles, are the forks properly aligned? Can you ride the bike with hands off the handlebar without a wobble?  if the forks are not aligned properly the seals and the slider bearings will not last long.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #199 on: 15-Nov-18, 01:16 »
All aligned Les.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

Puggle
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal