Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: My Turbo - refurbishment project - long winded  (Read 10171 times)

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

Re: My Turbo - refurbishment project - long winded
« Reply #25 on: 14-Jun-14, 14:43 »
Chapter 7   “Strip Down”

After trying to remove the water pump cover to replace the Speed Sensors, I couldn’t manage with any dexterity to remove the plate – so I had a choice of finding a leprechaun with fingers and tools to try and get this off the bike without removing the motor from the frame (you can do it according to the manual).

I couldn’t do it after umpteen attempts and decided to pull the motor out far enough to just do the sensor replacement.

Well that was a stupid idea as I didn’t have enough hands to balance the motor, undo the housing without being a contortionist in my small shed. So the whole motor came out.

Removed the radiator, disconnected all the wiring, disconnected fuel pump – all the associated bits and pieces, and dropped the motor.

With assistance, and the motor on the bench – it was a filthy site. I’ll do the right thing and degrease it, as there was lots of dust/dirt/oily residue on everything. Purchased and have repurchased at least 18 cans of good old Aussie Degreaser from Supercheap – you know the $2 a can stuff.

I started by removing the turbo heat shields and turbo unit from the front  - discovered a rare site, I didn’t know turbos could be used for nesting animals. – So it was worthwhile to remove the motor just so I could remove this unique habitat. It would have been a great fire hazard not long into me riding this if I didn’t know this was there.

Dragonstaff

« Reply #26 on: 14-Jun-14, 16:34 »
Red dust gets everywhere- and is impossible to remove. You will still be finding it in ten years time.

That is a nice winter home for a rat- nice and warm.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #27 on: 14-Jun-14, 16:41 »
Chapter 8   “Clean up”

As you see from the previous photos – there is a fair amount of cleaning to be done to the front of the motor. So I have spent some time cleaning this up. It would appear, and I hope I am right in assuming a lot of this came from a badly clamped turbo oil inlet hose. The flexible line was able to be just slipped off, and the small hose clamp to the motor on this line was not even tight, possibly because a previous owner never did it up.

The turbo unit itself has had the left outlet from the exhaust repaired, by welding another sleeve over the top of the existing one. The turbo unit seems to have no end play, so hoping that it will be OK. The wastegate is not seized and the turbo spins smoothly. Will need to replace the vacuum line for the wastegate valve operation as this was torn (looked like it had been done for quite a while). New hoses will be installed.

At around this time I managed to buy a complete spare frame and motor from Ozebob. The frame was donated to Dr Don, but I did remove everything else – and a swing arm pivot bolt to Glowe. The motor was purchased as a just in case mine doesn’t work extra. Hoping for possibly a quick swap over – but no joy – this motor has a broken camshaft. But not to worry – I then went to the ever faithful ebay and found a seller in the USA, they had a complete crankcase inclusive of pistons and camshaft for $99.99.

Found a local US forum member, who agreed to go and pick up the motor, remove the camshaft and send it to me. Also retrieved the pistons and rings and a few other pieces from the crankcase, plus the purchase of the special Honda tool to remove the camshaft retaining nut. All up it was about a $150 purchase. But I still owe the forum member a gift of some sort (need to do that – pretty slack of me not to have remembered that as well).

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #28 on: 14-Jun-14, 19:36 »
Chapter 9    “It’s about time I did something”

Since the motor has been on the bench, there have been many ebay purchases for the little bits and pieces that I have found were missing.

If I do remember all the bits  - they are as follows:

An airbox from the USA which I got ripped off badly for – I did get my purchase price refunded but that one purchase really stung me – blatant rip off with no seller remorse.

An airbox brand new cage – from a NSW seller, together with the plastic headlight grille, and the wire screen in front of the radiator (mounts to the fairing).

A set of sensors from the USA for $99
A brand new set of clutch plates for $15 from the USA (sold to suit a Goldwing, same ones fit the turbo)

A spare wiring harness complete with sensors from a seller in Melbourne – Harry picked them up for me $50

I also managed to pick up some replacement Turbo front blinkers from Wary54, that was some time ago – they are reproduction, but are well constructed. 

A spare starter motor (the broken motor did not have one) – thanks Doddsy.

A set of rear blinkers from a seller in Melbourne.

Then when I saw a complete kit of Turbo Fairing, Petrol Tank with cap, Side covers, rear cowl, plus other pieces – headlight, screen on ebay. I jumped quickly and the lucky seller was Ozebob, and he agreed to sell them direct to me. I managed to pick these up from him on our way back from a weekend at Nelson Bay. My wife loved travelling with a boot full of pieces – but she would not nurse the petrol tank in her lap.

hmmmmmmmmmm – running our of space in the front shed – so my study now has a few boxes of select goodies in it. 

I get a sad sound when I get home sometimes and get asked –what is in the box that got delivered today?

I cannot tell a lie, and advise SWMBO – it’s a gift from a friend.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #29 on: 14-Jun-14, 19:53 »
I'll just post up a few more photos - of the original body pieces I obtained.

Dragonstaff

« Reply #30 on: 14-Jun-14, 20:11 »
I thought my 650 was bad for the mouse poo. That air filter(?) is unbelievable. Or did you just empty the vacuum cleaner onto it?

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #31 on: 14-Jun-14, 20:57 »
No that was inside the air box when I finally managed to get it open.

The smell wasn't that good - but the whole internals were ruined/rusted through.

Pretty manky smell though...

Staffy

« Reply #32 on: 15-Jun-14, 10:56 »
This is a great read Charlie.  Keep it coming.   I look forward to seeing the finished bike!

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #33 on: 15-Jun-14, 15:26 »
Chapter 10   “What to do next”

After the slow building up of parts and not doing anything, apart from enjoying a new job, and finally getting past the probationary period – life goes by merrily until I have a serious hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Better really do something with this bike or I may as well not have bought it.

The motor has been on the bench, being twisted and turned and prodded and copious amounts of degreaser used to remove nearly all the historic build up – I haven’t done underneath the motor yet – will do that when it gets back in the frame.

I have removed the starter motor  -used a few sheets of emery paper to remove a lot of the rust and the
flaky black spray paint on it and then replaced it. Gave the terminal mount thread ends a good degrease and cleanup as well.

Both rocker covers were/are painted over in matt black – to hide the corrosion, that has bubbled through. So the preparation for painting must have been a wipe over (maybe) with a cloth.
I spent about an hour on each of them and have got them back to a relatively smooth finish using various grades of wet and dry paper with some detergent and water as a lubricant. 

The rocker covers have also been heavily subjected to fingers full of clear silicon around the spark plug holes and around the caps on the leads – not sure why as they looked OK and no breaks in the cap covers.

The rocker cover seals also had silicon around them both. But mostly it has been removed. The head drain holes have been cleaned out – filled with mud by those previously mentioned insects.

I purchased a right hand fairing mount from the US (NOS) from ebay, the old one had been snapped off –  probably the result of  a drop - but the residue under the bolt was still there.

Removed the water pump cover – but removed the air intake throttle assembly, this is possibly done with engine in bike – don’t know how.

There is a damper rubber that joins the air intake to the top of the water pump housing. It was broken so I managed to re-glue the rubber to the metal plate with contact adhesive, and lightly compress this with a pair of vice grips for 24 hours – this did the trick nicely – and it now seems quite firm.

If I haven’t mentioned it already – as I have removed all the bolts and nuts they have been given a dose of a product called “Lanoshield”, produced by CRC. I can personally vouch for this product as being better than most other penetrants to use on any rusted/siezed bolts etc, also on oxidized electrical fittings. This stuff works brilliantly. Inox is still very good – but the Lanoshield overall I feel is a better product.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #34 on: 15-Jun-14, 15:29 »
Chapter 11   “I really have bought lots more than I need”

After having a quick look in the shed to take a few more photos, I found that I had missed a few more things I have purchased.

Spare Fan motor ($5 ebay purchase) it runs and is 100% better than my existing one
Purchased the leather bound user manual that goes on the bike – from the UK – forget what I paid – about $25-$30AU.

Purchased a left and right muffler from I think a CX500 or 650  Euro – they are chromed but will probably fit the Turbo (thanks Mel & Wayne). These might get painted black and have the Turbo badges put on them.

The original Left muffler came with the bike – but the right side was a replacement euro model with the badge pop riveted on.  The left muffler may be worth saving – but after removing it – it is totally rusted out, mainly on the inner side – it is so thin and very fragile – not sure what to do with it.

The exhaust heat shield from the header to the muffler is in good condition – the only problem here was someone had welded the bottom section to the muffler instead of using a screw. Finished up having to grind the weld off – another little patch job to happen here.

Managed to score two new Honda Thermostats for the Turbo – from the US forum – member put them up there and only wanted postage costs – so I was happy to receive both.

Purchased a Kreem kit to re-do the originla turbo tank (when I get roundtuit).

Picked up a Mud Flab – ostensibly for the Custom front guard – but will fit it to the Turbo inner rear guard – to stop splatter around the rear of the motor.

Managed to buy a handle bar cover from ebay. An original diagnostic cable tester from the Turbo Toolikt, plus Harry managed to get me a Tyre Pressure gauge recently.

On the task of getting a Turbo diagnostic kit – these do come up on ebay – but are rarer than the proverbial rocking horse droppings – there is always feigned interest by buyers until the last 30 seconds – and he who has the deepest pockets wins.

I have been nowhere near getting any I have seen come up on ebay – and don’t think I will pursue that little gem any longer.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #35 on: 15-Jun-14, 15:31 »
Chapter 12    “More work completed”

I have removed the old speed sensors, replaced both modules with new ones, and double heat shrinked the soldered joins – to be sure to be sure.

The only problem in doing this is you still need to maintain an “air gap” from the rotating camshaft “rotor”, for the magnetic pulses to be at the correct timing for the ECU.

Pretty hard to guesstimate as you cannot see the sensor plate or the sensors when you replace them – the gap is all covered up.

This area is not a friendly environment for these sensors – as any moisture here would soon turn to steam or condensation and this tends to rust the components resulting with inevitable failure. Every report I have seen of these shows similar issues.

Will see what happens when I run the bike – if there is something noticeably wrong with this air gap.

Replaced the old water pump seal with a new one – made sure the copper washer was annealed properly and retorqued down to correct values. New O rings for the water tubes going through this area, and some gasket goo here as well.

Made sure the funny shaped O ring was good as I had a previous leak in this area from the Custom , and it was a bugger to locate, and particularly diagnose where it was coming from.

Put the whole lot back together.

Removed the inlet stubs at some point as well – there was one bolt that I couldn’t remove – and managed to round the head off. So half an hour or so with a hacksaw – I cut a slot in the top of the bolt and gave it a bit of “cop this” from a well placed cold chisel and hammer – I won this argument.

Someone looked like they used loctite on it – or it had way too much corrosion. Either way I purchased 4 new hex head bolt so never to have this issue again (not for me anyway).

Removed the fuel injectors very carefully – and even though they looked OK – I thought it was worth having them serviced. The servicing was done locally and recently – and they were not working properly according to the person doing the service. Now apparently are performing correctly.

B33

« Reply #36 on: 15-Jun-14, 19:09 »

Purchased the leather bound user manual that goes on the bike – from the UK – forget what I paid – about $25-$30AU.

You stole that!   Well done.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #37 on: 22-Jun-14, 10:18 »
Chapter 13   “Miscellaneous Bits ‘n Pieces”

Going through my Study – where all things seem to miraculously find themselves – when I don’t have anywhere else to look – I usually find things here… like the Bermuda Triangle of motorcycle pieces.

Here I found – two patches that I purchased from England – thought they were good value for the price, and bought one for my Custom and one for the Turbo (they are yet to be sewn on my Jacket) – another “roundtuit”. Just discovered these are IRON on as well – that may be the go.

I forgot to include in the items I have – a spare set of front disc rotors – these were obtained from NSW- where a member had purchased a quite corroded Turbo, was doing a restore – then decided to part the bike out on ebay.

I also have several plastic bags of “O” rings of various sizes (and no sizes on the bags)…3 sets of new spark plugs – that I forgot I had.

On the desk is the original windscreen that I have attempted to polish to remove some scratches – had it also to a professional metal polisher who gave it back to me – and wished me the best of luck with it. He recommended the finest grade wet & dry and to use Kerosene as a form of lubricant when doing this – then if you can get all the scratches out – then a final polish with some maguires plastic polish.

The headlight setting that came with the bike was quite damaged at the rear mounting points – and I spent an hour or two with my trusty glue gun and re attached all the broken pieces and spent some time in reinforcing these spots qith lots more glue. A pretty messy job – but I think it should hold up to the task.

The gauge/dashboard cluster is also on the desk – it has a few small cracks, and the screws are quite rusty – but I’m not going to attempt to undo any of the screws at present – just in case I slip and manage to break the perspex cover.

Found my original repair list that I wrote out – way back and it seems my initial thoughts were pretty much complete.

When inspecting the radiator – the original thermo switch had been bypassed with a manual toggle switch. I have replaced the Temperature Sensor for the radiator  after some testing of the old sensor – suspended in a pot of boiling water – did not seem to work – or at least work consistently.

The fairing vents were also snapped in half – but I have managed to reglue these as well – should be good.

The original fuel tank – had no fuel gauge sensor – it had been cut off internally – and the external connection was cut as well. Found another one on ebay – yet to see if it works. The replacement tank did not come with the bottom plate for the sensor.

Mins Man

« Reply #38 on: 22-Jun-14, 10:37 »
Wanna sell your knobs Charlie?

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #39 on: 22-Jun-14, 11:38 »
Harry,

you mean the ones on the gauge cluster ??  they aren't for sale - I don't have spares for those.

:)

Mins Man

« Reply #40 on: 22-Jun-14, 11:47 »
Stingy bastard! It's not like you're using them at the moment.
Actually I have enough for my bikes, I just have a spare cluster without any.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #41 on: 22-Jun-14, 11:50 »
You have my admiration for even taking that on Charlie.

Too high tech for me. In fact, so high tech it even has a computer keyboard attached to the instruments.  rolleye0012

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #42 on: 22-Jun-14, 12:02 »
Thanks Mark.

Yes it's always a challenge - but the keyboard helps me reply to smart arse remarks from some members who shall remain completely nameless Harry Kane  :

lmao

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #43 on: 22-Jun-14, 12:05 »
Harry,

send me up your spare cluster - I'll see if I can graft mine onto yours - what is your screen like ? might do a trade ??

:)

Mins Man

« Reply #44 on: 22-Jun-14, 19:22 »
Unfortunately the plastic on the bike I bought and the one on the spare cluster have cracks in them.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #45 on: 19-Jul-14, 12:59 »
Done a little bit more this morning

Managed to put the motor back in with assistance from my eldest son.  not a great deal of trouble at all really - no pinched cables or fingers.

slotted the top engine hanger bolt in place - then jacked the back of the motor up and connected the tail shaft at the same time.

found some more little problems with a fuse holder for the main fuse connection - will need to fix that - reconnected clutch and throttle cables - the clutch cable nylon grommet that lets the cable swivel at the handle end needs to be replaced - it is in two pieces and will probably fall out shortly...

took some more photos - so will load them up shortly

reconnected some of the electrical - checking the connections for corrosion as I go

hopefully in a few more weeks I might be able to try and start it...

photo link:

190720141796.jpg Photo by 81custom | Photobucket

Staffy

« Reply #46 on: 20-Jul-14, 12:02 »
hopefully in a few more weeks I might be able to try and start it...

Make sure you have a video camera handy   happy0158

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #47 on: 20-Jul-14, 13:34 »
Staffy,

Yes I will have to try and remember to do that...got to find the video camera first.

No more work this weekend - been to the chemist, jaycar, shopping - restacked about two hundred pavers that fell over, cut down some overhanging branches from the neighbour behind us, cut up the branches and in the bin, cleaned the road in front of the house - my youngest sons last 4wd was sold yesterday - and seems it had left quite a big oil slick on the road.

I'm quite stuffed at the moment.

Bought a few thingies for my trailer from Jaycar, a push button switch for the spotlight inside SP0758, and a battery clamp cigarette lighter socket PP2007, so I can run a small 150w power inverter (charge my phone).

For the Turbo a new 30A blade fuse holder SZ2040 to replace the twisted twins of wire currently in place.

now for some lunch and a food coma  - maybe watch the football.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #48 on: 03-Aug-14, 15:09 »
Chapter - "umpteen"

A bit more progress has been made this weekend.

First off was to replace the crumbling piece of plastic that was passing for a wire receptacle for the solenoid has been replaced. Managed to use one of those micro screwdriver sets to push the pins out of the old one - and take the replacement from a spare wiring harness. Gave all the terminal ends a clean up at the same time.

Made the fuse replacement a simple procedure  - the blade fuse holder from Jaycar, cut the wire in the middle - then put some ring terminals on it - soldered them up, then wrapped it around the solenoid. Needed to cut two small sections out of the fuse cover when folded to make sure it closed.

Pushed the bike out of the shed this afternoon - removed the fuel pump - as I thought I should check this and run some fuel through it to make sure it is working OK..

No good in having nice clean injectors and pumping crap through them..

The old filter I have left in place - but will get a new one before starting the bike.

Filled the inlet line and fuel filter with some mower fuel by a funnel, shoved the outlet end into a small ice cream size container with a small amount of petrol. then had my son hold all this while I put the appropriate wires to a battery...

got a lot of sparks for quite a few minutes, and used the rubber hammer handle to give it the odd love tap - then it started to purr like a kitten...

pumping nicely - and no great degree of crud out of the pump.

let it run for a few minutes - then a rest at which time I inverted the fuel filter and it let out some rubbish - ...

ran it again  - and it didn't flush any more rubbish through.

all in all - not a bad afternoon of work - just finishing my coffee - and now for a nana nap.

Note: - when you view the two photos if you click the back arrow TWICE - you will see what the old crumbling plug looked like.

next week - the petcock  - I'll try to keep my hands off it until then..

2funny   oops shouldn't laugh at your own jokes..... 2angel

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #49 on: 09-Aug-14, 14:03 »
Chapter Eleventeen - book 3 episode ad infinitum - ad nauseum for some

After much poking and prodding I managed to get the petcock disassembled and into several smaller pieces -I have ordered the new internals for it, but the item is on back order - so probably won't see it for about two-three weeks according to the local bike shop.

I managed to remove the old internal 4 hole seal by using a hair dryer on it for a few minutes, then picking it out with a mini flat blade screwdriver.

I turned the seal over - as I thought that could possibly work - but it is too old to bother putting it back together this way - and I think it's worth waiting for the new part to arrive.

Thinking about cleaning out my old petrol tank - as I can use this until I manage to take the newer tank to a locksmith to remove the petrol cap.. I got this from Ozebob - but unfortunately no key...not to worry - will get that underway in a few weeks.

The inside of the old tank has been lined and the liner has come away from the tank, and there is rust underneath the liner, so in all fairness to the clean injectors I am attempting to remove as much of this as possible. my efforts might work

I strapped the old tank to my concrete mixer and put about 50-60 flat washers inside it and turned it on - makes a lot of noise - but might get a few kilos of larger nuts/screws to put inside it as well tomorrow, and give it a whirl for a few hours - it won't hurt - plus it will annoy the neighbours.

There is some crap video on photobucket

Charles Hambling's (81custom) Library | Photobucket

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal