Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: My Turbo - refurbishment project - long winded  (Read 10181 times)

Seagrass

Re: My Turbo - refurbishment project - long winded
« Reply #225 on: 18-Nov-18, 12:38 »
Yes the 20W oil may make the front end too harsh over bumps but it should corner like it is on a rail!

Seagrass

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #226 on: 18-Nov-18, 13:44 »
Thanks Seagrass,

When I get around to it, I'll see how it feels - if too harsh will drop to 15wt. The biggest difference was in the fork spring lengths. The spare shocks I had were a lot stiffer to compress, and I could easily just by my weight could move the old shocks probably 3 inches, with the spare ones maybe two inches and I was struggling for anything further.

When I put them back on the bike I will try and measure the sag just from the weight of the bike on them, then try and measure the amount of travel I can put on them.

Might start on re assembly soon - I have some energy left... lol

OK - It's done and back together, pads were ok  -a quick degrease and all good.
The top triple clamp mount ie the handle bar holder I noticed was quite loose and did wobble from left to right and backward and forward, tightened it up and put some thread locker on the top nut - shouldn't move now - only needed 1/2 a turn.

Wheel went on easy - the front mudguard - painful as always.

Still to re route the clutch cable so have left the handlebar cover and lever guards off for the moment - am sure will get to that this week.

Phew - been a busy weekend - still to do the shopping...

I might have an early night

Cheers guys

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #227 on: 24-Nov-18, 10:20 »
Copied this for another thread - thought I should put it here as well

Well part 1 of the journey completed.

Pink slip passed - but unhappy with the left hand mirror - totally useless - kept falling down.
Got home and took off the front cover - could not get to the screws so had to remove the mirror - then undid both screws - bit of red loctite and put it back on - one of the screws was fractionally loose - just enough for it to vibrate downwards.
Back together and off to RMS shortly.

Waiting to put the wife, sister in law and mother in law on a shuttle bus for their cruise leaving this afternoon...then FREEDOM   lol

Filled up with fuel and when resetting the trip meter- the knob exploded in three pieces when I pressed it to reset...oh well - now I know how Harry feels. No way I could find it all - and no hope of glueing it back together - too brittle.

Took a few pictures of the fork travel  - and for interest sake it rides very well - not harsh at all..so at the moment will leave it where it is - and best of all currently not leaking but having only done 10k's I will reserve judgement.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #228 on: 24-Nov-18, 12:51 »
Success,

RMS have been kind enough to let me ride the bike for historic inspection tomorrow for the princely sum of $26.00 which includes the CTP cost.

So more to follow tomorrow - I don't expect any dramas and will report again then..

Cheers for now -  2angel

doddsy1000

« Reply #229 on: 24-Nov-18, 17:38 »
It's actually really good to see/hear about a bike making milestones mate.

Good going  happy0158 happy0158

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #230 on: 25-Nov-18, 10:50 »
WOO HOO

The Turbo has passed inspection.

Rode over this morning - and still getting used to the bike - I think the speedo is out a little bit as it seemed to indicate higher - but it might be me or the traffic going above the posted speed as well.

The fork seal on the left side had the tiniest bit of oil on it - but a quick wipe and all clear - when I got back home there was none - so I think they might hold up for a little while.

The ride is not harsh at all even with the 20wt oil - so I will keep using that as well.

The next thing on order will be braided brake lines - but I might go and get some historic plates next week - might have to wait until friday as I don't finish work early enough to visit RMS.

Can anyone with a Turbo let me know what RPM the bike should show in 5th gear at say 60 70 80 100 and 110 kph..

I overtook a truck coming back and was in 4th gear - opened her up and it took off like a rocket..looked down quickly to see the speedo showing 140 (Mr Plod would have been very happy with me).

Thanks guys

Seagrass

« Reply #231 on: 25-Nov-18, 13:34 »
Good news Charlie.

You do have to be very careful when “dropping a gear and opening her up” especially if you are in third or forth gear (and it might also be good to have a heart checkup as this can certainly make your heart skip a beat)

Some RMS offices are open till 8pm so worth checking what time your local one is open until.

Seagrass

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #232 on: 25-Nov-18, 14:38 »
I know the Penrith one is open for later hours (just checked they are 8 to 6 M-F) - but I am on late shift this week and don't finish till 6 or after up to Thursday, Friday I finish at 4 - so will have plenty of time then.

Yes it certainly took off quickly - and surprised me a little bit - I had been hitting boost in 2nd gear when rolling around the block a few weeks ago - and need to keep the revs up for better riding response - but when cruising it is easy to overtake and if you were travelling at highway speeds the kick of the turbo would bring a smile to your dial quite quickly.

Cheers

Charlie

Mins Man

« Reply #233 on: 25-Nov-18, 20:22 »
but when cruising it is easy to overtake and if you were travelling at highway speeds the kick of the turbo would bring a smile to your dial quite quickly.

You'll find that overtaking becomes a bit addictive Charlie.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #234 on: 25-Nov-18, 22:51 »
Harry,

Pretty sure I am anyway...but now I can do it with ease... happy0062

cheers

doddsy1000

« Reply #235 on: 26-Nov-18, 08:11 »
I think you'll find that 4,200 rpm is about 100 kmh  (in 5th)

That would also be about where the turbo starts to rumble.  (Really awesome on the 100 KMH winding roads to rumble through the bends  2smitten)

I found that it took some "getting used to" when the turbo kicked in as over revving the engine was way too easy.

It was funny that a smooth & gentle throttle was needed when the turbo was interested, but a much more aggressive style was best before it kicked in.

Congratulations  happy0158 happy0158 happy0158

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #236 on: 26-Nov-18, 08:42 »
Thanks Ian,

I found a quite useful app on the internet called "DigiHud" I have downloaded it to my phone - used it when driving in the car yesterday and it seems quite good - so will be using that in the clear pocket of my tank top bag next time I go out - to give me a feel of how fast I am really going.

Thanks for the response - I like the approach - aggressive till the turbo kicks in then mellow out when on boost.. 2angel

doddsy1000

« Reply #237 on: 26-Nov-18, 09:24 »
DigiHud is great for that.

A very clear & simple display.

I've been using that app for several years & I'm sorely tempted to find a way to mount it to the screen where I can see it at the right time  lmao lmao lmao

Onetrack

« Reply #238 on: 27-Nov-18, 08:32 »
 Charles, is this the turbo that I was bidding against you so many years go, we were intending  brake it up to repair another turbo. 
If so what you have is a much better result.  My near neighbor who was biding with me at the time has since died of a brain tumor and his collection of turbos (Yamaha,  Suzuki, Kawasaki) has move to Atherton to join other turbos.  This collection of turbos has at least one example of every turbo ever made including a CX650. 

"Young" Les F

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #239 on: 27-Nov-18, 11:50 »
Yes Les,

It is one and the same Turbo that I purchased. It's been a long process, and will continue down the road a bit further now.
Ordered a set of Braided Stainless brake lines last night - so that will make the bike stop a lot better.. the old lines, even though the lever is relatively firm is fractionally spongy  - you can feel the brake lines expand when you pull back so it's time for new ones - as they are now 36 years old - nearly retirement age me thinks.

Cheers

doddsy1000

« Reply #240 on: 27-Nov-18, 13:02 »
That's actually the first ever ABS mate.  lmao lmao lmao

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #241 on: 27-Nov-18, 13:17 »
Thanks Ian,

I knew I was onto something when I had to do a quick stop - not happy with the result - so I am choosing to upgrade my chances of avoiding an accident.

Worst thing is I will be waiting for them for a week or so - coming from the UK. Could not find an Australian supplier who was anyway cheaper.

cheers

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #242 on: 30-Nov-18, 11:24 »
I'm sure everyone will be relieved to know and hear the Turbo has been successfully registered for the Historic Vehicle scheme, all dues paid and Registration plate in hand.

Waiting for some new brake lines, then to get them installed - will be having two individual lines for the front - bypassing the splitter, with a double banjo bolt on the front master cylinder with new crush washers all round. The fluid will be flushed through as well.

Cheer guys.

PS. I managed to get a day off today as well.  woo hoo

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I just noticed the number plate reading 3 2 1 0 - sounds like it's counting down to "take off "    lol

must be an omen   2funny

doddsy1000

« Reply #243 on: 30-Nov-18, 14:54 »
Can I click "Like" twice?  happy0159 happy0159

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #244 on: 30-Nov-18, 17:51 »
Not sure Ian I don't think so as I have tried to click your response twice     2angel

I can then "unlike" as well....

white knight

« Reply #245 on: 01-Dec-18, 05:01 »
Sincere congrats Charlie on completing that 4.5 year journey-I don't think I would have had the patience-Well done.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #246 on: 01-Dec-18, 08:07 »
Thanks Chris,

It has been a journey - and a bit over 8 years in total. Probably more done in the last 2 years than the first 6  lol.

All in all - I have gained a lot more knowledge of these bikes, not necessarily understanding some of it - but a nice brain strainer along the way. Has not helped my bank balance, but you have to spend it on something.

Very happy I can take it out legally for a ride, and enjoy it.

Also had major assistance in the final 2 years from Seagrass who put it all back together.

Cheers

Seagrass

« Reply #247 on: 01-Dec-18, 10:43 »
Thanks Chris,

It has been a journey - and a bit over 8 years in total. Probably more done in the last 2 years than the first 6  lol.

All in all - I have gained a lot more knowledge of these bikes, not necessarily understanding some of it - but a nice brain strainer along the way. Has not helped my bank balance, but you have to spend it on something.

Very happy I can take it out legally for a ride, and enjoy it.

Also had major assistance in the final 2 years from Seagrass who put it all back together.

Cheers

Happy to been of help Charlie as it gave me some more first hand knowledge too.

Good to see it is now on the road happy0159

Seagrass

BUFF7454

« Reply #248 on: 01-Dec-18, 12:04 »
Charlie there is still a major fault with it though that really needs to be rectified. IT'S NOT in MY shed.

82 Turbo & 2000 Valkyrie

« Reply #249 on: 01-Dec-18, 17:10 »
Thanks Seagrass,

Thanks Buff - I cannot see an emoji that gives me the right response...

I hope you can find one to buy - if you are such a keen masochist... lol

I'm sure I must be a masochist after this length of time - but the pleasure has been a long time coming... :tease:

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal