Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Phreaks phingy.  (Read 10971 times)

CX PHREAK

Re: Phreaks phingy.
« Reply #50 on: 08-Jun-16, 20:52 »
Battery box finished.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #51 on: 08-Jun-16, 20:54 »
Ignition box underway. It's a little further along than in the picture. Lots of speed holes.  happy0062

CX PHREAK

« Reply #52 on: 08-Jun-16, 22:19 »
Airboxless sidecover mounts done. Have set the covers back in at the back.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #53 on: 08-Jun-16, 22:47 »
Since I had the space I decided to make a labrynth type breather seperator. These work by allowing no clear path for the vented fumes to travel through. Causing the fumes to contact, and condense on, the largest area possible while offering no restriction to flow. It is topped with a typical breather filter and drained under the bike at service per the original air box breather.

ginga jimmy

« Reply #54 on: 09-Jun-16, 09:15 »
Nice! I love the liberal use of speed holes...  :2afro:

J.C.

« Reply #55 on: 09-Jun-16, 18:17 »
I like the side cover mounts! That's nifty. Nice idea with the crank breather, too...

CX PHREAK

« Reply #56 on: 13-Jun-16, 19:21 »
Finished the battery holder. Painted it in duplicolour gloss black engine enamel and baked it. The breather was painted with satin black enamel. The box holds the starter solenoid and main fuse on the front side and the voltage regulator on the door, which is made from alloy. The bolt holes are slotted so it can be lifted off after loosening the nuts rather than having to remove them. I've put part of the bikes original electrical plate on the opposite end to the door to hold the solenoid and stator plugs.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #57 on: 13-Jun-16, 19:26 »
Got some more work done on the 'Raesan under glass' ignition box with the speed holes put in and the tags to hold the lid welded in. Also have cut, shaped and drilled the acrylic cover which now only requires final finishing.

And the coolest of all, 2 CB900F discs artfully drilled by Ralpho.  happy0065

VladTepes

« Reply #58 on: 17-Jun-16, 09:43 »
Nice work Mark !

Dom

« Reply #59 on: 17-Jun-16, 17:26 »
Nice discs Ralph.

hamilton

« Reply #60 on: 17-Jun-16, 17:48 »
Hey Dom, he has put them on backwards, i saw him do it and he wouldnt be told??? happy0007 happy0007
Yours will go faster. lmao lmao

Dom

« Reply #61 on: 17-Jun-16, 18:48 »
Hey I have no doubt mine goes faster, It has the special Ralph lightened and skillfully drilled discs  Those milligrams of weight saving make all the difference :2afro:

Onetrack

« Reply #62 on: 17-Jun-16, 19:11 »
Hey Dom, he has put them on backwards, i saw him do it and he wouldnt be told??? happy0007 happy0007
Yours will go faster. lmao lmao

Was I under the misunderstanding that brakes were meant to help you go slower even bring you to a standstill?

"Young" Les F

hamilton

« Reply #63 on: 17-Jun-16, 19:25 »
Now Les, my disc drilling make the bikes go faster and stop faster.   happy0007 happy0007
Funny thing Dom, Thingys discs are larger in diameter than yours but his only allowed 6 rows of 18 holes but yours  have 7 rows of 18, with the same spacing.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #64 on: 19-Jun-16, 23:04 »
Ignition box welded in and primed. Now to make the liner.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #65 on: 14-Aug-16, 19:14 »
Have now made and welded in the frames rear arch/ mudgaurd support and modified the plastic liner to suit the application. The liner has had the rear cut off before the rise for the seat mount and then another section plastic welded in to make the rear the length it was meant to be. Actually, I added back 2 bits when the rear mounting holes were found to be too close to the edge.

The platform for the CDI plugs was in the way so the rear half was removed and a filler piece added. Ditto the protrusion on the left side for a wire guide to mount to.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #66 on: 14-Aug-16, 19:21 »
Have moved the ignition switch location from the bar clamp to under the fuel tank on the right side next to the right hand carbs choke for convenience. I have yet to make the reverse lever for the choke though as both chokes point to the left side. The mount used is a modified CB450K series switch mount modified a little to suit the application with a few speed holes added.

Next job is the gussets for the rear frame spreader. Have templated and cut the rears ready to final shape and weld in. The front gusset will be a little more complex as I want to incorporate the rear seat mounting in this one. This will likely necessitate slightly thicker steel than the rear gusset which is only 2.5 mm steel, the same as the rear arch.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #67 on: 14-Aug-16, 19:23 »
The rear seat hump has had its mounts finished and now is a drop on fit with 3 6 mm bolts to mount.

All of this now disassembles/reassembles in about 5 minutes. With numerous test fittings I've had plenty of practice.  rolleye0012

Have also smoothed out the inside of the rear hump so it's fit to use to put stuff in. Have a tenuous plan to retain the front cushion with a valiant glove box door latch installed in the middle of the cushion like a button tuft.

Will be buying some polyester resin for the seat in the next few weeks and hunting out my stashes of glass sheet.

J.C.

« Reply #68 on: 15-Aug-16, 12:07 »
Have moved the ignition switch location from the bar clamp to under the fuel tank on the right side next to the right hand carbs choke for convenience. I have yet to make the reverse lever for the choke though as both chokes point to the left side. The mount used is a modified CB450K series switch mount modified a little to suit the application with a few speed holes added.

Next job is the gussets for the rear frame spreader. Have templated and cut the rears ready to final shape and weld in. The front gusset will be a little more complex as I want to incorporate the rear seat mounting in this one. This will likely necessitate slightly thicker steel than the rear gusset which is only 2.5 mm steel, the same as the rear arch.

That arch at the back (and the battery box) look fantastic.

ginga jimmy

« Reply #69 on: 15-Aug-16, 18:10 »
Love it! :2afro: Looking forward to seeing the seat..

CX PHREAK

« Reply #70 on: 16-Aug-16, 12:19 »
So am I.  rolleye0012

Thanks JC.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #71 on: 21-Aug-16, 19:51 »
Not much progress here, but at least I got done what I intended this weekend. Which was finishing and installing the rear gussets for the frame spreader.

The front gusset will get done when I come back to this project but for now I'm going to sideline into sorting some more motors.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #72 on: 03-Sep-16, 20:11 »
Ripped this down to a bare block today and am fairly pleased. While nothing has been more than casually inspected yet everything looks much better than I could have hoped. One bore has minor surface rust that is of no concern. The filth inside the motor cleaned off easily so at least wasn't baked on from a cooked motor at any point. There was a lot of clutch fibre floating around and the usual silver sparklies from the camchain getting into the rear crank cap and its bolt. There was enough bolt left to still be able to undo it with a socket. The left camchain guide was broken at the upper mounting eye.

Surprisingly for a bike that appears to have been poorly maintained on initial inspection the camshaft and sub rockers appear new. Weird but welcome. This would seem to be the nicest camshaft I have seen in one of these.

The crankshaft looks very nice and I'm undecided on whether to replace the main and rod bearings. While I have replacements here I'm not replacing bearings that don't need replacing just for the sake of it. I have a number of motors that yet might want them. I can find no paint marking on any of the existing bearings but the crank bearing codes are all Bs. If I can fit green rod bearings I may just replace them though. These are available along with the mystery blue rod bearings. While I'm about it I'll likely plastigauge a set of these to see where they fit on the bearing chart.

The mechanical seal fell apart when I removed the impeller but of course he'll be getting a new one regardless.

I'll finish up cleaning, checking and measuring stuff tomorrow and pick up some plastigauge through the week ready for next weekend and take a few pics in addition to the few I took today.

I should be able to start reassembling this next weekend .... and have just realised I haven't actually ordered the new clutch friction plates yet. Reminded by all the clutch dust I was. But they should be here before I want them. EBC springs already in transit, and that 'A' rocker.

Have to pull the hall sensor out of the shadows motor that is sitting on the floor while the shadow is testing another motor so it will be easy to get to.

I am wondering if despite touring fairing and general appearances that maybe this thing doesn't have a huge milage. But it's hard to tell ..... it's a CX.

VladTepes

« Reply #73 on: 20-Sep-16, 16:45 »
Really liking what you've done with that frame Mark and it has given me some ideas... ideas which are beyond my capabilities !   happy0007

CX PHREAK

« Reply #74 on: 20-Sep-16, 22:31 »
My ideas over reach my own capabilities too Vlad and sometimes this becomes apparent after you've started.

I consider this sort of work a series of problems to be solved. Every change made will make 2 or 3 more necessary. And I only ever have a loose vision. I make it up as I go along. Being in the middle of going through 4'500 custom threads has confirmed a suspicion I've had. The builds with all the computer generated plans and spreadsheets are rarely finished.

It's all good fun.

The thingys block is now being swapped for a bare 82 block I have here. What looked like surface rust in the right bore showed to be more serious when I honed the cylinder. The 82 block was subsequently honed and found to have only random stains so that block is now marinating in the middle of a cleanup process.

New big end bearings have been selected. Mains yet to be selected. Have an internal mike set on its way so these can be sized. If I'm lucky it will arrive Friday

The fun and games should continue next weekend.

Website and forum protected by
┬áSTOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

Puggle
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal