Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Frans bike  (Read 8113 times)

CX PHREAK

Re: Frans bike
« Reply #100 on: 18-Jan-14, 12:21 »
And I'M the sicko.

For shame Doddsy.  :tease:

CX PHREAK

« Reply #101 on: 30-Mar-14, 21:54 »
Managed to get a bit of time in on this over this and last weekend and finally have a rolling frame. New tyres I'll worry about when it's closer to finished.

The rear wheel has been resprayed and polished, fitted with new wheel bearings and locking collar and an 'as new' driven flange. The brakes also have new shoes. This wheel also has a very good brake drum with very little movement of the bellcrank before engagement of the brakes.

The riders footpegs have been rebuilt and are fitted with new rubbers. The brake lever is NOS and I'm fortunate it turned up on ebay as all the brake levers here are defective in some way, be it lousy chrome, roadrash or mangled stoppers from the bikes being dropped. This lever was listed on ebay for all of about five minutes.  rolleye0012

The sidestand is fitted with a new rubber and spring. The centrestand scored a new spring too. I had a very nice spring for the brake pedal so no new spring for that.

Ignore the key holding the brake torque arm in place on the rear brake plate, I'm still preparing the bolt for that.

The new frame plugs and rubber cover for the swingarm adjuster were kindly sourced for me by Victor.   NotWorthy

Staffy

« Reply #102 on: 30-Mar-14, 22:09 »
It's coming together!

Seagrass

« Reply #103 on: 30-Mar-14, 22:23 »
Very nice Mark happy0159

Seagrass

doddsy1000

« Reply #104 on: 31-Mar-14, 10:15 »
Hey Mark, did you take the tyres off to do that polishing?

The Turbo has roughness around the edges & I was thinking of just polishing the gold off on that area.

Leaving the rest as it is, but having polished sides where the tyre fits in. (If that explains it OK?)

CX PHREAK

« Reply #105 on: 31-Mar-14, 17:31 »
Thanks fellers.

Ian, the tyres have not yet been off of the rims. A folded piece of wet and dry will get right into the edge between tyre and rim easily enough, it's just a matter of how you hold it.

You also need to be holding your mouth like this  :tease: which comes natural to me after a few civilised drinks.  rolleye0012

grod

« Reply #106 on: 31-Mar-14, 17:51 »

I love the effort you have put in on that thing.  I get a twitch when I think about the time I rubbed Brass at Kapooka and not so shue I could do something similar to your efforts.  Then again the outcome is amazing.

g

Dragonstaff

« Reply #107 on: 31-Mar-14, 20:38 »
Very nice Mark.

I made the mistake of showing the wife, and now I know just how much work I will have to do on the 650! sign0182 sign0190

What is the relay/flasher can on the inner guard on the right hand side of the bike? It does not look stock.

Mr Revhead

« Reply #108 on: 31-Mar-14, 20:41 »
I'm still impressed by the level of detail on this! 
Top job mate :2afro:

CX PHREAK

« Reply #109 on: 31-Mar-14, 21:01 »
Thanks fellers.

That is the standard flasher location for a US deluxe model, one of the many small differences between the US and Oz bikes.

Though interestingly the Oz bikes fender liners do have the tag this attaches to although not used.

The custom carries its flasher relay just next to here in the tool/handbook holder so the custom loom I've used has the wiring for this in the correct location. Oz bikes carry this up the front.

mirboo72

« Reply #110 on: 01-Apr-14, 16:37 »
My flasher can always slides off leaning on the inside of the side cover, i like it..Looks great and nice polish work there... NotWorthy I need lots of beer after polishing to motivate and wash down all that dust in my throat.

doddsy1000

« Reply #111 on: 01-Apr-14, 18:27 »
You also need to be holding your mouth like this  :tease: which comes natural to me after a few civilised drinks.  rolleye0012

Aha! That explains it!  I was having too few civilised drinks.  lmao lmao lmao

CX PHREAK

« Reply #112 on: 01-Apr-14, 18:35 »
Yes, one should have a refined drinks evening for this.

Refined by triple distilling.   rolleye0012

CX PHREAK

« Reply #113 on: 09-Jun-14, 21:43 »
Had a few chances to get to this one here and there in recent weeks and have finished up the instrument/headlight area and have all the electricals functioning.

The headlight now runs through relays with a dedicated 4mm wire feed. These I managed to get stuffed into the headlight but there wasn't room for a horn relay. Not a big deal.

The splitter has been fitted and awaits the braided lines I ordered last week. The horn is a royal enfield item. It caught my eye when searching ebay for a replacement horn. It's a bit bigger than the standard item but was able to get it in without it touching anything.

The clock I found on ebay under listings for CM250. I have another on my rider. It seems to work OK.

Master cylinder is an ebay CB400 cheapie with the cap matched to the reservoir and polished.

Next up are brake callipers. As long as they measure 38.2 mm I have a source for rebuild kits with pistons. I'll measure them in the next few days.

Also next up is the seat as the cover has arrived.

Dragonstaff

« Reply #114 on: 09-Jun-14, 22:35 »
Mark, what is the switch(?) on the right of the ignition in a bracket similar to the choke mount?

CX PHREAK

« Reply #115 on: 09-Jun-14, 22:39 »
It's an LED battery monitor. Called a sparkbright.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #116 on: 20-Dec-20, 19:01 »
Painted today. Candy red over metallic red.

Kathy can finally get her sidecover back ....

Base colour.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #117 on: 20-Dec-20, 19:02 »
And two candy coats.

CX PHREAK

« Reply #118 on: 19-Jan-21, 18:53 »
With striping, awaiting clearcoats.

Mins Man

« Reply #119 on: 20-Jan-21, 10:50 »
Pretty much what I would expect from you Mark, another excellent job.  happy0158

CX PHREAK

« Reply #120 on: 07-Feb-21, 21:23 »
Thanks MM. Paint finished and I'll get Rons sidecover back to Kathy soon. My colour is close but maybe a little dark. I like it though.

Needs tyres and a few little things to finish.

Seagrass

« Reply #121 on: 07-Feb-21, 21:45 »
Very nice Mark, even has Deluxe side covers to match the look.

Seagrass

CX PHREAK

« Reply #122 on: 07-Feb-21, 21:59 »
Thanks Cephas

Thanks to Victor this bike is a pretty accurate rendition of a 500D Cephas.

The main difference being the twin disc front end which I'm assuming we'd have got if we got this bike at all...

Website and forum protected by
┬áSTOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal