Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Olwesty's CX400 Custom Resto  (Read 7680 times)

jhovel

Re: Olwesty's CX400 Custom Resto
« Reply #25 on: 28-Feb-09, 00:01 »
Hi Westy,
I would like a scan, but with a specific piece of grid paper laid over the top of the gasket.
I'll e-mail you with the PDF file of the grid paper attached.
Cheers,
Joe

brentm

« Reply #26 on: 28-Feb-09, 11:06 »
hi westy great job youve done there, was wondering how your engine paint work has held up with hot motor etc I wanted a satin finish so used satin black heat resistant brake and caliper paint from supercheap,and are you still on the same reused head gaskets, ? no seepage at all around joints was wondering how well the copper sealant was able to fill imperfections in used gaskets and mating surfaces and holdup.brent

Olwesty

« Reply #27 on: 28-Feb-09, 16:25 »
Hi Brent,
The engine paint is great, I have only ridden it for about 2 hours but I reckon the paint has just hardened up nicely, I used the Plasti-Cote brand super satin from Bunnings, have since used it on other motors and hadgreat results, the re-used head gaskets have been fine .. no leaks at all so the copper head gasket spray seems to have done its job, I have since aquired a new set of Honda head gaskets but unless these ones leak I'll leave them in, no leaks at all .. oil or coolant.
Lindsay

Olwesty

« Reply #28 on: 28-Feb-09, 17:09 »
Hi Chiangmaiglman,
Sorry I took so long to get back to you, I think most engine parts from the CX500's will fit except for the head gaskets, you can use a 500 gasket (as they do in New Zealand) but that leaves a nasty gap around the top of the cylinder and would reduce your compression slightly so I would not recommend it, the carbies are different .. they have a smaller bore for the throttles, mine has a 2CA A VC1 on the left hand side but I cannot read the number on the right side as it is on the inner side, my engine number GL400E-1032022 and is a 1983 model, hope this helps you Chiang.
Regards,
Lindsay

wmf138

« Reply #29 on: 28-Feb-09, 17:13 »
very nice job cool0010 cool0010

chiangmaiglman

« Reply #30 on: 28-Feb-09, 18:04 »
Lindsay,

Thanks for the reply.  Though I don't currently have a Head Gasket problem, it's always nice to have a spare set just in case. How lucky you are to have an OEM set.  May I ask the Part Number? Sometimes luck prevails in places like Thailand and who knows, maybe a set can be found. Doubtful, but asking is free. 

Both JHOVEL (Joe) and I would like a set custom made in Bangkok. If you could scan your gaskets with the special grid required, Joe and I can coordinate getting them made.  I suspect there are many others who would rather have a proper sized set instead of 500 gaskets for the Compression issue you mentioned, as well as carbon building up in the extra space. Not a good thing. I've used ATF Fluid slooowly input through carb balance ports to de-coke cars successfully.  Your thoughts?

As for other engine and other parts, yes, it it my understanding too that most are generally interchangeable. However, with the carbs, mine are 38A C RH (with a Japanese Character that looks like a 7 after the RH). The throat diameter is smaller. I am wondering, however, whether the jets and needles are interchangeable with other 400/500 carbs.  I've got a slow jet needle pretty badly damaged and in need of replacement. Would the cx/gl500 Carb Rebuild Kits work? Or, what would you suggest?

Lastly, out of curiosity, how many kilometers are you getting per liter?

Thanks,

Mark

Olwesty

« Reply #31 on: 01-Mar-09, 12:16 »
Hi Mark,
I've scanned the head gasket and sent to Joe, the part number on the packet (original Honda) is 061A1-KC8-000 but the 000 has been crossed out and 450 marked in with a marking pen so not sure what that is all about, the KC8 designates a CX/GL 400 as far as I can work out, I searched on the CX/GL Honda UK site for head gaskets for the 400 and it gave me the same number as the 500 (1225-415-306) which is incorrect so they are selling 500 gaskets as 400 gaskets .. not good!
I'm not sure about the jets in the carbs and the only way to find out would be to dissmantle mine and have a look .. I will do that if we cannot find another way to check, I would think that the slow speed needle would be the same as the 500 as it is just a metering needle, make sure you have the tiny Oring and washer on the metering needle under the spring, they sit in the bottom of the hole where the needle screws in, Oring first and then the tiny washer and spring, it's hard to see the little Oring in the bottom of the hole, just check to make sure it is there. As far as the carby kit goes .. all gaskets and Orings should fit but jets will be different.
I haven't done enough K's on my 400 to work out mileage so can't help you there.
Regards, Lindsay

burke

« Reply #32 on: 19-Oct-09, 20:25 »
 Have just been given a 
                                1986 Honda GL400 Custom CX
                                 Engine No.  GL400E-1033005
                                Chassis NO. NE10-1001715
Am still trying to work out the Carb no's,VB is the best as yet so will work on it.

Now looking at the date of the last post I hope I am not to late for some head gaskets.
 Were any ordered and would it be possible to get 2 sets ?
Thanks

jhovel

« Reply #33 on: 19-Oct-09, 22:24 »
If you actually need head gaskets, contact me and I'll give you the scan and the contact details of the company in Bangkok who will make them over the net for you at a fair price and post them back to you in a few days.

chiangmaiglman

« Reply #34 on: 20-Oct-09, 07:52 »
Have just been given a 
                                1986 Honda GL400 Custom CX
                                 Engine No.  GL400E-1033005
                                Chassis NO. NE10-1001715
Am still trying to work out the Carb no's,VB is the best as yet so will work on it.

Now looking at the date of the last post I hope I am not to late for some head gaskets.
 Were any ordered and would it be possible to get 2 sets ?
Thanks

Burke-

I've had two GL400's, one a GL400E here in Thailand and both had VB38A carby's on them.  Slightly smaller venturi on them as opposed to the GL/CX500's.  i would like to know what other bikes these might have been used on.  Any Ideas out there?

Mark

burke

« Reply #35 on: 22-Oct-09, 19:51 »
Finally worked out the carby Numbers,I Think.
This bike was regestered in 1986 but am not sure if it is the year of manufacture.
 The nos are. VB on the top half
  2CA?VO and something that looks like a T
The ? is a square with something int,unable to make it out.
Hope this helps
burke

Turbowizard

« Reply #36 on: 22-Oct-09, 20:19 »
Great work Lindsay.

From memory the rocker covers on the CX500 Euros have the same paint detail as the ones in your pictures.

Seagrass
Correct I had a 1983 CX500 Euro with exactly the same rocker covers.

Website and forum protected by
┬áSTOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal