Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Incontinence of Gear-Shift Shaft Oil-Seal  (Read 316 times)

Barocca

Incontinence of Gear-Shift Shaft Oil-Seal
« Started on: 29-Jan-21, 14:49 »
Firstly let me say that this is my fourth CX bike, and I have successfully replaced many gear-shift shaft oil-seals.  During the CX500's rebuild I fitted a new seal and it leaked.  I have since fitted two new seals, taking the usual precautions (thorough cleaning, taping the splines, fitting it square) and the leak persists.  I believe that the shaft was free from any obvious scoring, which might be the cause of this persistent problem.  Are there any other tricks/dodges/precautions that I can use when fitting another new seal? 
N.B.   I am seriously loath to remove the engine again.   

Seagrass

Re: Incontinence of Gear-Shift Shaft Oil-Seal
« Reply #1 on: 29-Jan-21, 15:53 »
The only other time I have heard of this seal needing multiple replacements was on Charlie’s CX500 custom.

His problem turned out to be a damaged gear lever shaft, changing the shaft resolved the problem.

Seagrass

Onetrack

« Reply #2 on: 30-Jan-21, 17:35 »
If you can not fix it with a new seal I have 2 gearshift shafts here in what I think is good condition.  If you want them they are free if the post is not too much.  This is one of the few parts that is the same for every CX. Part number 2460-415-000 Arm complete, gearshift. PM your address if you want them.

Barocca

« Reply #3 on: 31-Jan-21, 00:03 »
Thanks One Track.  Have pm'd you.  NotWorthy

muzza

« Reply #4 on: 31-Jan-21, 04:54 »
Yes - your shift shaft is likely bent from a previous off.

Onetrack

« Reply #5 on: 01-Feb-21, 17:04 »
They are a bit difficult to measure for bends but here is a go. The two shafts meets equally.

Barocca

« Reply #6 on: 01-Feb-21, 18:35 »
Probably only able to be checked in the lathe?

Onetrack

« Reply #7 on: 01-Feb-21, 19:14 »
Did not think of that, they are now in the post.

Barocca

« Reply #8 on: 13-May-21, 20:51 »
Cause revealed.  Removed rear cover and inspected shaft.  Deep scoring in four places.  How the hell did it happen, and why didn't I check the shaft when last out for the TripBP?  Luckily I can now install the replacement generously provided by Onetrack. 
Thanks to all for the advice etc

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

Puggle
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal