Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: (another) water pump mech seal post  (Read 5288 times)

Kathy

Re: (another) water pump mech seal post
« Reply #25 on: 06-Jul-09, 21:04 »
Hi Folks,

I was contacted a couple of months ago by Simon Davis (son of Harry Davis - the guy who bought my GL700 Wing Interstate some years ago) in relation to obtaining the correct size mechanical seal for a pre-1982 CX500 (27.8mm aperture)

Seems he ordered one from Honda Australia using the correct part number (19217-611-000) but was supplied with the larger seal.  Not realising that the seal was too large he broke it while trying to install it.  He ordered another seal and when he realised it was the same size as the previous seal he contacted me to find out if I knew of somewhere else he could buy the seal.  I suggested he contact David Silver Spares, explain the problem and ask the staff to measure the seals they had in stock.  The staff at David Silver Spares confirmed that, despite the part number being correct, all the seals they had in stock with that part number are the larger seal.  

It seems that Honda in Japan are now supplying the incorrect sized seal and I suspect that, given the unsuccessful experience I had trying to convince Honda Australia that the throttle cables being supplied for my bike were too long (they couldn't comprehend that Honda in Japan could have made a mistake and they reckon my bike has non-standard handlebars), it will be nigh on impossible to have this situation corrected.  I'm prepared to take it up with Honda Australia but I won't be able to do so for at least a couple of weeks.

Simon's solution was to get a machining shop to increase the seal aperture in the rear cover from 27.8mm to 28.3mm so that it could take the larger seal.

Kathy

ACE

« Reply #26 on: 06-Jul-09, 21:17 »
Great reply Kathy...just goes to show you!  happy0159
Now..Clarky..I braved the cold weather and went out to the shed and measured the AESSEAL..mind you I only have a good metal rule, but it is definitely 28mm, not any bigger...it is listed on the box as a 0.500" Davey Seal and the Asseal part number is B03ABX10127DAVE...best of all..only $10.00...I got mine as spares..I have two..so happy to part with one if it helps..or check with DAVEY in your area..or direct from Aesseal

AESSEAL Australia Pty Ltd  (AESSEAL)
12 Counihan Road, Seventeen Mile Rocks Qld 4073, Ph             +61 (0)7 3279 1144        or             +61 0411 227 869        Fax +61 (0)7 3279 1067 Email john.baills@aesseal.net.au

We got our seals from the S.A. agent, and I don't know who has fitted them so far...but..hope this helps!
ACE

Clarky

« Reply #27 on: 06-Jul-09, 21:57 »
Thank you Kathy for the thorough answer.  I will take case and seal into work tomorrow and measure them on some better equipment then I have at home.  I will probably get the case machined to accept the bigger seal.

So, to anyone who has machined their own case, coupla questions:

1. Is the seal supposed to be an interference fit in the case?

2. I take it I just need to get the case machine deep enough to seat the water pump seal, and not all the way through, so as not to cause any problems with the oil seal?

Thanks.

Clarky.

Seagrass

« Reply #28 on: 06-Jul-09, 22:05 »
Thank you Kathy for the thorough answer.  I will take case and seal into work tomorrow and measure them on some better equipment then I have at home.  I will probably get the case machined to accept the bigger seal.

So, to anyone who has machined their own case, coupla questions:

1. Is the seal supposed to be an interference fit in the case?

2. I take it I just need to get the case machine deep enough to seat the water pump seal, and not all the way through, so as not to cause any problems with the oil seal?

Thanks.

Clarky.

Clarky the seal is indeed an interference fit.

Yes, only enlarge the part the mech seal fits in, not all the way through or the oil seal will not fit!

Seagrass

Clarky

« Reply #29 on: 06-Jul-09, 22:10 »
Thanks Seagrass - will wave some beer an the machinist at work tomorrow.

And thanks ACE too - just realised you edited your post in the time it took to post my last reply (stopped mid-way through to have tea).

Thanks for the kind offer, but as I now have two new seals, I think I'll just get the case machined to suit.

kazdeluxe

« Reply #30 on: 06-Jul-09, 22:23 »
hi clarky,after reading the latest posts i dug my spare new honda seal-19217-611-000.yes it measures 28.65mm.my yamaha seal measured the same as yours.my first bike has the yamaha seal fitted after i machined out with a milling machine.i found the flap wheel method not very accurate.didn,t want to do this again hence the ordered honda seal-which i now find to be wrong.maybe other members could quote their kilometers from their sucessfull mods.sorry about the bumsteer but now my other motor has to be modded so it seems-robert.

Rayman

Clarky

« Reply #32 on: 06-Jul-09, 22:40 »
No probs Robert - I thought something wasn't adding up here.  Can always keep the other as a spare.  No dramas.

Seagrass, in regards to the interference fit (sorry to keep dragging this subject on, but good to have all the info in one post, for future reference):

I measured my  new seal at 28.63mm, and my case at bang on 28mm.  The old seal measures 28.05mm.  So, it appears that the interference fit is only very slight (0.05mm or about 0.002" in old money), and relys on the pressed metal outer housing of the water pump seal to "squash" up ever so slightly as it is pressed/tapped into the case.

Will double check these dimensions at work tomorrow with digital verniers, bore gauges and micrometer, but if my measurements are correct, I need to get the case machined to 28.58mm (in an ideal world) to be the same interference fit as the original.

Will keep you all posted on how this works out.  Fingers crossed - I have really had enough of this engine now.....     2tickedoff

Clarky

« Reply #33 on: 07-Jul-09, 22:45 »
OK - double checked dimensions at work today with their measuring gear, and it appears my dimensions with my trusty old vernier calipers at home were correct.

Went to see our machinist, and after we looked through his selection of machine reamers, it seems that a 1" & 1/8" reamer is equivilent to 28.575mm (I worked out the desired case hole size to be 28.58mm for a 0.05mm interference fit).

Have left it in his capable hands,

Will post on progress.

Clarky.

Clarky

« Reply #34 on: 08-Jul-09, 23:48 »
Kathy - am going to see my local Honda dealer in Perth on friday to pick up some parts.  If my machinst mate has finished with my case by then, will take the old and new seals along to them for comparison, along with my vernier calipers, and see if I can't get some action taken on this issue.

There must be a procedure for reporting incorrect parts (if they can be bothered to help me).

Will inform of my progress.

Clarky.

Clarky

« Reply #35 on: 09-Jul-09, 23:36 »
Machining on case done.  Seal a good fit.  Fingers crossed engine going back onto frame tomorrow.

Clarky

« Reply #36 on: 10-Jul-09, 13:47 »
Went into Honda to pick up some parts.  Asked one of the guys there about the water pump seal size.  He told me that Honda no longer made parts for the bike, so all the parts being ordered are just using up old stock, or are the same part used on more modern bikes.  He says that they have probably used up all the stock of the smaller size seals, so are only supplying the larger size and calling it the same part number.

Is he fobbing me off cos he can't be bothered/doesn't know the answer? Who knows.  What do you all think?

Website and forum protected by
┬áSTOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal