Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Water Pump Seal Part Numbers  (Read 302 times)

joethebike

Water Pump Seal Part Numbers
« Started on: 11-Jun-21, 10:24 »
Can someone explain to an old bloke the Honda part numbers for the water pump seals.

The main number referenced in posts is 19217-611-000, that being the larger 28mm diameter used on post 81 models.
The parts PDF I have for my CX500EC lists the seal as 19217-657-023.
Are the parts the same with one number superseding the other?

Joe

Kathy

Re: Water Pump Seal Part Numbers
« Reply #1 on: 11-Jun-21, 10:38 »
@joethebike

This was from almost 12 years ago ...

(another) water pump mech seal post

joethebike

« Reply #2 on: 11-Jun-21, 10:57 »
Thanks for that Kathy and I had checked that post as part of my search about the part numbers.

The 500EC parts PDF I have is a good reference resource and I wonder if it would be useful to have it placed on the site.
It is a Honda made parts list but I wonder if Honda would object.

Joe

Kathy

« Reply #3 on: 11-Jun-21, 11:07 »
Hi Joe,
The 500EC parts PDF I have is a good reference resource and I wonder if it would be useful to have it placed on the site.
It is a Honda made parts list but I wonder if Honda would object.
Thanks for the suggestion.

The 500EC parts list and workshop manual are already available for downloading from the forum - they (and other related resources) can be downloaded via links in the the following topic : Free Genuine Honda CX & GL Workshop Manuals.

Regards,

Kathy

joethebike

« Reply #4 on: 14-Jun-21, 16:32 »
I can reply to my own post as the Honda seal kit arrived today and can confirm that 19217-657-023 is the correct 28mm seal as you would expect.
Just laying up parts as the cam chain tensioner looks nearly fully extended and may need attention in the near future.

bahn88

« Reply #5 on: 14-Jun-21, 17:42 »
Sorry Joe couldn't work out how to post without replying to you or Kathy.....A general question....So for us earlier CX owners are we to assume machining of the rear case is still needed for Honda/ OEM parts.?
Looking at the reviews for the parts listed by CSMNL, theres a few by early CX owners that say seals supplied are too big...as per the thread links this is still suggesting that the 28mm is the only one supplied irrespective of the part numbers.

Seagrass

« Reply #6 on: 14-Jun-21, 18:49 »
If you order a seal from a Honda parts supplier AND they have to order it from Honda, you will be supplied with the larger seal regardless of what you think you ordered.

There may still be some smaller seals around that a parts supplier has had in stock for some years but you will probably be lucky to find one.

Machining the rear case is the only option and will ensure you can get a seal that fits moving into the future.

Seagrass

CX PHREAK

« Reply #7 on: 14-Jun-21, 19:19 »
The seal changed through the 81 model run. Joes euro should be the larger seal anyway.

bahn88

« Reply #8 on: 15-Jun-21, 07:20 »
Yes, as per CXPHREAK, I'd assume the OPs bike should have been the larger freely available seal as has resulted.
(Was thinking forward for us 1981's and earlier owners re any updates -thanks for responses)

Cheers

grod

« Reply #9 on: 19-Jun-21, 23:32 »
I wouldn't be too concerned about having to "Machine" the rear case as I had to do this myself when getting my bike back on the road.  My Dremel and flap wheel made short work of the mechanical seal recess.

nodrog

« Reply #10 on: 23-Jun-21, 15:27 »
Just found a seller on Ebay selling a Mechanical seal  Manufacturers Part Number is M575-A002. The advertisement claims this seal is a replacement for Honda 19217-657-023 and
Yamaha 11H-12438-10-00.

Seller only wants $14.99 for the seal. Has anyone else gone this route, instead of OEM?

Seagrass

« Reply #11 on: 23-Jun-21, 17:49 »
Just found a seller on Ebay selling a Mechanical seal  Manufacturers Part Number is M575-A002. The advertisement claims this seal is a replacement for Honda 19217-657-023 and
Yamaha 11H-12438-10-00.

Seller only wants $14.99 for the seal. Has anyone else gone this route, instead of OEM?

Many of us have been using after market seals for some years and $15 is around the correct price.

Seagrass

nodrog

« Reply #12 on: 23-Jun-21, 20:23 »
Thanks Seagrass, I'm going to give it a go.

Website and forum protected by
┬áSTOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal