Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Electric fail after riding for 1 hour  (Read 139 times)

blackmarkus

Electric fail after riding for 1 hour
« Started on: 04-May-21, 14:46 »
In the process of putting my bike back on the road after being parked for 2 years (recovery from a major accident)
2 days in a row I’ve lost left cylinder both days after riding for an hour. Stopping and turning off the bike allows it to run normal again but will soon fail again.
Thinking it may be a coil or igniter ?
Any ideas ?
I am about to swap the igniters over and next time it fails see if it has swapped cylinders. If not then next I’ll swap the coils over.
  [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  

J.C.

Re: Electric fail after riding for 1 hour
« Reply #1 on: 04-May-21, 16:03 »
Worth doing a stator and pickup test imho in case it’s a pickup issue. Cold and hot. Then go from there… quicker to do that test than to start swapping or investigating other components.

Definitely electrical? Not a vacuum buildup in the tank?

blackmarkus

« Reply #2 on: 04-May-21, 16:52 »
It’s an electronic ignition and I’ve recently put a new stator in it.  Also recently replaced the fuel cap for one with a good vent. Also tested fuel flow through petcock. Have already changed over the igniters. I’m wondering what would be most likely to fail with use/heat and then comeback after a rest

Seagrass

« Reply #3 on: 04-May-21, 18:55 »
The most likely component to fail with heat in a TAI motor would be one of the small pickup coils in the rear of the engine.

A suitable Raesan electronic ignition module would solve the problem and is a cost effective upgrade www.rae-san.com

Seagrass

blackmarkus

« Reply #4 on: 04-May-21, 19:38 »
Had a look and I don't really understand what I'm looking for or at ?
Do they need engine out and back case off ?

J.C.

« Reply #5 on: 04-May-21, 21:25 »
Which ignition is it exactly? The Ignitech still needs the pickups, a Rae San Hall Effect does not.

Or do you mean TI?

blackmarkus

« Reply #6 on: 05-May-21, 06:17 »
Standard TI

Seagrass

« Reply #7 on: 05-May-21, 08:16 »
I believe this is the Raesan ignition model you would need if your bike has TAI (Transistor Assisted Ignition). TAI was standard on 1982 models (engine number starting with 24xxx).

https://www.rae-san.com/cx-gl-500-650-tai-ignitions/

Seagrass

J.C.

« Reply #8 on: 05-May-21, 09:46 »
You can check the TI pulse generators like so:

https://motofaction.org/motorcycles/honda-cx-gl/checking-advance-timing-pickups-honda-cx500-gl500-cx650-gl650/

Again, cold and hot/symptomatic is ideal.

blackmarkus

« Reply #9 on: 05-May-21, 10:48 »
Thanks I will do that, probably next week. Was just appreciating the larger brake discs yesterday that I bought from you years ago

blackmarkus

« Reply #10 on: 14-May-21, 14:46 »
Just received my Ray-San module. Is it engine out to fit it ?

Seagrass

« Reply #11 on: 14-May-21, 15:33 »
I believe it can be done without removing the engine BUT it will be a bit fiddly.

Seagrass

J.C.

« Reply #12 on: 14-May-21, 15:54 »
I have done it before with the coolant overflow tank loosened and pushed out of the way - it’s doable. I wouldn’t do it again, was hell on my arthritic fingers but I think those without that issue would have less of a problem.

blackmarkus

« Reply #13 on: 14-May-21, 16:00 »
Thanks for your response. I am about to rebuild starting with a different frame , so I might leave it until then.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal