Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Speedo working Odometer Not working  (Read 279 times)

wmmason

Speedo working Odometer Not working
« Started on: 28-Sep-21, 07:43 »
Hi guys,

Finally got my cx to a state that it's test rideable - and during which i noticed that the RPM's and Speedo dials were working fine. However the Odometer and trip meter were not.

My assumption is this is an issue inside the dial unit somehwere, because i assume the speedo and odo work from the same cable, and if the speedo is working, the cable is working.

Is the solution to pull apart the speedo dial, and have a sticky beak to see if something is jammed, or out of place?

Any advice here would be appreciated - also please let me know if you need more info, or pics.

I've a 1980 CX500 (A? i think, its only got the single disc roto up front)

Thanks again everyone.

Seagrass

Re: Speedo working Odometer Not working
« Reply #1 on: 28-Sep-21, 08:05 »
Your assumptions are correct and the Odo is driven by a gear off of the mechanism that is driven by the cable.

I think Joe Hovel had one of these apart for repair some years ago but I do not remember the outcome.

It is often better to just source an alternate used speedo from somewhere as they are often cheaper than getting your speedo repaired by an instrument repairer (if this becomes necessary)

Seagrass

wmmason

« Reply #2 on: 28-Sep-21, 09:33 »
Hi Seagrass, thanks for the great advice as always. I'll take a look around and see if i can find some used ones.

wmmason

« Reply #3 on: 28-Sep-21, 10:02 »
@Seagrass do you know if the dials accross the year models change much? They look pretty much the same - i've found a pretty good looking set of dials from and 81 and 79 model.

Seagrass

« Reply #4 on: 28-Sep-21, 10:13 »
I do not recall how much the speedo dials changed, if at all.

I know the tachos changed as some models had a higher red line than others.

@Kathy would probably know if there were differences as she has a collection of sales brochures of various models

Seagrass

Kathy

« Reply #5 on: 29-Sep-21, 14:58 »
I've a 1980 CX500 (A? i think, its only got the single disc rotor up front)
@wmmason - The 1978 and 1979 models had a single front rotor - they also had round master cylinders.

Given that parts sometimes get replaced with parts from different year models it's a good idea to use the frame number and engine number as reference points - you may find the reference guide attached to the topic Honda CX500 & CX650 Reference Guide - Australian Models (V12 ~ 21-Feb-18) helpful for understanding/identifying different models and parts ...

I do not recall how much the speedo dials changed, if at all.
As far as I know there were onlytwo types of speedos: one for the Custom models which incorporated the coolant temperature gauge; and one for the non-Custom models that did not include a coolant temperature gauge.

I know the tachos changed as some models had a higher red line than others.
Even though some models had a tacho with 12,000 RPM maximum and others had a tacho with 10,500 RPM maximum the redline mark was the same on all of them (ie, about 9,500 RPM).

Website and forum protected by
┬áSTOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal