Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: on board fire ;-(  (Read 460 times)

dangerous

on board fire ;-(
« Started on: 04-Sep-21, 10:26 »
crap... ok I was able to ride home like this so its not a plug that affects the running... anyone able to tell me what this plug is ta?
  [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  

dangerous

Re: on board fire ;-(
« Reply #1 on: 04-Sep-21, 10:45 »
ok... so update, the 3 yellow wires run between the rectifier and out of the top of the engine block at the very back...

Thing is all 3 are yellow and as the melted out I don't know which belongs to which?
as its the female plug on the rectifier I assume its power EXITING the Rectifier?
Will it matter which wire connects to which as they are all yellow?

dangerous

« Reply #2 on: 04-Sep-21, 13:14 »
LATEST REPORT... and i'm buggered if I know...
I have cleaned up the melted mess and tidied the wires...
start the engine and within seconds one of the three wires (top one in photo) just this side of the conector... starts SMOKING...

Any ideas people???

dangerous

« Reply #3 on: 04-Sep-21, 13:15 »
this is where the wires go to, or come from...

Seagrass

« Reply #4 on: 04-Sep-21, 19:27 »
The three wires supply the AC voltage from the stator to the regulator/rectifier which then converts the AC to 12 volts DC.

As it is AC you can connect any yellow wire to any of the matching yellow wires from the regulator/rectifier.

Smoke means heat which is caused by high resistance (bad connection). Many owners choose to cut off the connectors and solder the wires together.

Seagrass

dangerous

« Reply #5 on: 04-Sep-21, 20:17 »
Smoke means heat which is caused by high resistance (bad connection). Many owners choose to cut off the connectors and solder the wires together.

Seagrass

so... it might not mean a buggered rectifier or worse stator?
possibly, a worn broken wire at that point?

Seagrass

« Reply #6 on: 04-Sep-21, 20:48 »
More than likely a faulty connector.

My Turbo and many others fried that connector.

Seagrass

Onetrack

« Reply #7 on: 05-Sep-21, 06:20 »
If you solder the wires you will get a good connection, however if you ever remove the engine you will have to sever this connection.  A poor connection at this point causes an imbalance of the phasing loads of the stator coils - this leads to a dead stator and an engine out job so make an effort and reconnect properly.  An engine out job on a Turbo is no simple matter.  If after reconnecting you still get smoking wires you have a much more serious problem probably with the rectifier.

A poor connection at this point is a very common problem and should be checked from time to time.

"Young" Les F

Bert63

« Reply #8 on: 05-Sep-21, 07:45 »
I would be testing the stator for shorts in the windings. Check that each winding has the same resistance. Then check that they are not shorted to earth.    I will need to check but with the wires disconnected ,you should be able to read a AC voltage between them. Also no AC voltage to the frame / earth.    The values you are expecting should be available in the manual , don't have my copy with me.

Onetrack

« Reply #9 on: 05-Sep-21, 13:25 »
With the 3 wires disconnected and the engine running you should read about 20 volts AC between any pair of wires, neither the Haynes manual or the Honda manual specifys this, but what ever it is the readings should all be the same between any pair of wires.  There should be no readable voltage between any wire and the frame (earth).  A reading here indicates a breakdown of insulation inside the stator.

dangerous

« Reply #10 on: 06-Sep-21, 16:53 »
sorted it... seems it's a issue with the CX range, the AC connector does fail as it ages, today I replaced each of the three connectors for individual ones and no heating up... so I will get the correct multi plug and replace ASAP

So thank you all for your help...

Website and forum protected by
┬áSTOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

Puggle
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal