Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: The Blues  (Read 384 times)

nodrog

The Blues
« Started on: 02-Aug-21, 21:47 »
Well as most of my posts will be in regards to my current rebuild, i think it appropriate to create this post,  Now i'm certainly no expert, and although I have managed to restore one Cx500 B, i fear this next one will be a tougher challenge.

Firstly, a picture of the bike i purchased.
  [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  

Luckily the Bike came with two Motors, One will go back in the Bike and the other will be a reconditioned spare.

My first intention was to try and restore back to original condition however looking at the condition of many of the parts i am now unsure of which direction to take.

I have completely stripped and bagged all the parts. Both Crankshafts were Beyond repair, I have since got hold of 2 more crankshafts that will be fine with a re-grind.

The seller did advise that all was not well with the engines.

Here's a picture of one of the heads.

The engine cases are cleaned and ready for Paint, I am now waiting on delivery of a Dial bore gauge and have decided to repair some dents in the fuel Tank.

I don't know how many times this tank was painted but i swear it feels half the weight now i've removed the Paint.
Paint stripper, scrape, more stripper, scrape etc,
etc, etc. Getting the paint of was easy, it was the filler between coats that caused a problem as the stripper has no effect on it.

There are many things wrong with this Bike, and although i don't multi task very well i'm afraid i may have too. Between finding parts, waiting for parts and hesitancy of spending too much money I fear this build will take some time. I will endever to keep you updated of my progress as it happens.

Here's a pic of another problem i have uncovered today. Not sure what i will do about it yet.

I was given a Riser Stand and although i think the CX is probably a little heavy for it, I do think it will be an excellent method of supporting the frame while I re-assemble the bike. I think i've worked out a way of making it fit the CX. Will post some pics if and when i'm successful.

nodrog

Re: The Blues
« Reply #1 on: 03-Aug-21, 19:36 »
Hit the rust spots on the frame with a wire wheel, then applied some rust remover.

Not sure how to go about this really. Thinking I will just give it a light sand before painting. I plan on welding up the hole for the side stand then re-drilling and fitting a new shoulder bolt. Perhaps a spray of Penetrol inside the frame.

nodrog

« Reply #2 on: 05-Aug-21, 20:59 »
Finished prepping the  frame, and Painted with Epoxy Paint.
Found a new use for Pool Noodles. happy0158.
 Modified the Riser Stand the Frame fits Beautifully, Should make the Rebuild process a lot easier.

nodrog

« Reply #3 on: 13-Aug-21, 20:41 »
Well things arn't going as expected, my original plan was to rebuild the engine first. As that I am still waiting on conrod bearings and preferring to let fuel evaporate out of the tank before I begin work on it, I have started cleaning up components  and slowly putting things together. I'm just taking my time and enjoying the process. There's something quite therapeutic about this process. I have a small lathe and made a very rough bearing puller out of a socket for the swingarm bearings.

Few bits and pieces serviced and back on the frame.

I'm thinking that when Honda originally manufactured these bikes the frames came in one colour (Black). It appears to me that very little attention to detail was put into these frames, as the welds seem very average, Although my intentions are to keep as original as possible, I can't help thinking about changing the colour of the frame to Blue, (to match the Tank and plastics) leaving the Swingarm and stand Black. I am yet to find a Picture of a Blue CX with Black reverse comstar wheels and wonder whether the Blue frame would help tone down the Black a bit(if you know what i mean). Any thoughts or comments welcome.

Killer

« Reply #4 on: 14-Aug-21, 11:22 »
Mate, your bike so paint to suit yourself. I have always thought blue and black combine very nicely. Enjoying your reports. Cheers. Killer. happy0065 happy0065

Seagrass

« Reply #5 on: 14-Aug-21, 11:37 »
Looking good Gordon. As Killer said it is your bike so do as you want.

The few CX’s I have seen with coloured frames have always looked good even though they were different.

I am also enjoying seeing the progress of your project and looking forward to further updates.

Seagrass

rotcycles

« Reply #6 on: 14-Aug-21, 21:32 »
Im planning on painting mine vanilla to match my tank. NO RULES!!!
Paint that frame

rooray

« Reply #7 on: 15-Aug-21, 20:51 »
Ive seen red frames that look good

nodrog

« Reply #8 on: 25-Aug-21, 19:33 »
I have decided to stay with Black.
Took delivery of some Kings CR4013AM 0.25 half shells for the Crank regrind. They may be suitable as long as i have some Big Ends with a Diameter of less than 43.015mm. The Lugs are smaller than the OEM part, but are in the correct position. I will need to drill the Lube hole in them. Planning on practicing on some old shells first. I am considering using these bearings simply because they are just shy of 19mm wide.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

Puggle
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal