Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Working on Fuel Tanks  (Read 67 times)

nodrog

Working on Fuel Tanks
« Started on: 20-Jul-21, 18:28 »
Can someone please explain the best way to empty a Fuel tank prior to carrying out repairs. I can only think of flooding the Tank with water to remove vapours, however i fear this will simply cause rust to form in the Tank. I have a large dent i wish to remove and intend on fusing some electrodes to the Tank in an attempt to pull the dent. 

Seagrass

Re: Working on Fuel Tanks
« Reply #1 on: 20-Jul-21, 19:30 »
Pump exhaust gas into the tank while you are working on it.

The carbon monoxide prevents the fuel vapour from reaching the “lower explosive level” and therefore it cannot ignite. I have never done this but it is reportedly the best way.

Needless to say always proceed with caution regardless.

Seagrass

nodrog

« Reply #2 on: 21-Jul-21, 23:24 »
Thanks Seagrass,

Unfortunately this idea scares the hell out of me.

I'm thinking about draining, then flushing around a bit of WD40 in the Tank, draining it, let it dry over a number of days, then perhaps taking it out in the open and dropping a match in it.

This idea also scares the hell out of me.

denuto

« Reply #3 on: 22-Jul-21, 00:25 »
My suggestion is to wash the tank out (several times) with water, do your repair straight away and when finished rinse the tank out with methylated spirits. The methylated spirits will mix with the water and the water should come out with the metho if you slosh it around and then tip it out. Maybe more than one metho rinse, and then the remaining metho should evaporate leaving the tank clean and dry.

I have also seen welding repairs done on a car fuel tank which had the exhaust from a running car piped into it. Regairs done with an ovy-acetylene welding torch!

nodrog

« Reply #4 on: 25-Jul-21, 21:44 »
Thanks denuto,

I think this is the way i will go, Better safe than sorry.

Website and forum protected by
 STOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal