Puggle

A A A A Author Topic: Crankshaft and Bearings Advice needed  (Read 264 times)

nodrog

Crankshaft and Bearings Advice needed
« Started on: 22-Jun-21, 14:42 »
Well, I'm having trouble getting hold of a good Crankshaft and am now considering other options.
I have been thinking about getting the Crankshaft re-ground, as the one i Have is 0.01 under the Minimum spec, and appears to need a clean-up. I have noticed a company in Doveton Vic that will manufacture custom bearings and provide a bearing build up service (BRS). I'm thinking perhaps get hold of oversize bearings then have Crank ground to suit.
I'd like to know what others are doing in this situation? Obviously this problem will present itself more frequently as these bikes age. I have seen a company called ACL in the forum, and wondering does anyone know if they can provide oversize half shells.
I have contacted Crankshaft Rebuilders in Blackburn whom advised they do not build up cranks however they may know someone whom can help, (in what capacity i don't know) i'm waiting on a return call.

nodrog

Re: Crankshaft and Bearings Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: 23-Jun-21, 15:53 »
just following up,

I have been doing some research and have found quite a few Vehicle Manufacturers Used Half Shell bearings in Connecting rods having the same ID as our CX's (43.0 - 43.024mm). Although I have found some contenders I am not able to confirm there suitability as the Data i'm looking at does not include info about the location of the Tabs, nor do they provide accurate pics of the Bearings so that i may narrow my search. I have noticed some of these bearings (If suitable) may provide enough thickness so as to allow us to regrind our connecting rod journals.
Has anyone else gone down this line of enquiry? If so was it fruitful, or am i wasting my time?
  :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

kazdeluxe

« Reply #2 on: 23-Jun-21, 16:48 »
Hi Gordon, on gumtree at the moment there is a seller in west aus selling a reground crank with block for the bargain price of $250 seems all the hard work has been done for you. if this was in brissie i would have snapped it up myself(cost of freight high) anyway just saying good luck.

nodrog

« Reply #3 on: 23-Jun-21, 20:20 »
Thanks Mate,
Unfortunately I'm in Victoria so not a lot closer than yourself.  My other concern would be, if the Crank is ground it is more than likely undersize and therefore i'm back to finding Bearings to suit. Perhaps the seller has sorted out this issue and knows of a solution (Suitable Bearing). I'll check it out and perhaps contact the seller for more info.

nodrog

« Reply #4 on: 23-Jun-21, 23:53 »
This ones getting close could be a contender for Brown Connecting Rod Bearing. If we were able to create our own lube hole.
  [ You are not allowed to view this attachment ]  

Will have to call Kings and ask if they do a undersize option. Or I could be completely wrong. 2idiot

Seagrass

« Reply #5 on: 24-Jun-21, 08:08 »
Nodrog if you do a search on this forum for Crank Tek you will find posts from some years ago about this company having done crankshaft regrinds and custom supply of new big end shells to suit the grind. I believe they used crankshaft shells from a Daihatsu vehicle and cut the tang to suit the conrods.

I believe this company may no longer be in business but as they were in Victoria it may be worthwhile following this up. If they are still in business they should be able to help you.

Seagrass

nodrog

« Reply #6 on: 24-Jun-21, 10:42 »
Thanks mate,
Will check it out.

nodrog

« Reply #7 on: 24-Jun-21, 16:46 »
Hi Seagrass,

I gave Cranktech a call today. I've got to say Allan was a huge help. His knowledge is very impressive, he spent a lot of time with me on the phone, nothing seemed to be to much trouble for him. I must now locate some bearing shells that will enable a regrind of my Crank. Allen has advised as to what I must look for in regards to tolerancing etc.

* Basically the new dimension of the conrod bearing journals must require a minimum .010" of
   material be removed.
* He has also explained he is able to open up the Conrod I.D. if needed.
* The Lubrication Hole and Tags can easily be formed and i should not be concerned with them
   when selecting suitable Bearing shells.

Cheers for the lead.

2smiley

Seagrass

« Reply #8 on: 24-Jun-21, 18:58 »
From memory the two bearing shells that I heard Cranktech used previously were from one of the Holden Red motors (possibly a 179 engine) and one of the Diahatsu vehicles (no idea which one).

Hopefully this will help narrow your search.

Seagrass

jhovel

« Reply #9 on: 25-Jun-21, 11:39 »
I've had two crankshafts reground and conrods resized by Cranktech. They did a brilliant job and supplied all the bearing shells. At the time it cost $200 but is a while ago. Don Seedsman has also had cranks reground there. I can recommend them.

nodrog

« Reply #10 on: 28-Jun-21, 22:44 »
I'm going to get Cranktech to do it.
It must be some time since Allen has done the CX500 as he wasn't able to recommend a bearing and suggested i search for one. I'm busy going through the Data now. Interestingly Kings have just released a new Conrod Bearing seems the STD is right on size and at 19.5mm width very close. I cannot determine if they do oversize as yet. Keep meaning to give them a call but never get time. Perhaps tomorrow.
Will research the Holden Red motors now.
I read in a UK forum that the bearing to look for is a 705100-23600. It's used in a Yanmar Tractor TF55. Unfortunately i cant confirm size. Seem the bearings are made in Taiwan by a company called L.L.C.

Cheers

bahn88

« Reply #11 on: 30-Jun-21, 15:46 »
Thanks for updating on the progress and adding to the forum knowledge base.
Cheers

nodrog

« Reply #12 on: 13-Jul-21, 12:20 »
Bearing number C4013 (Kings Number). Unfortunately this bearing is for Conrod Housings no bigger than 43.015mm and although this bearing may be OK for some, with a width of 18.979mm, my Housing I.D measures 43.017mm
The bearing I've decided to use is a CR 306AM (Kings Number) however i have ordered a TAIHO equivelant, Part number R256A-0.25. this bearing is recommended for housings with a Max I.D of 43.02mm and although the Lug is in the wrong place I plan to remove the Lug. The width of the Bearing is 18mm, so a bit concerned about this. I will drill the Lube hole myself as this bearing doesn't have one.
If my housing was smaller than 43.015 I.D. I would have used the C4013 (Kings Number) as it is 19mm wide without a lube hole.
Kings have also recently added a new Bearing CR4687SI again max Housing I.D is 43.015mm, this bearing is Lugless has no Lube hole and is 19.799mm Wide. I couldn't establish whether or not it is available  Oversize/Undersize.
Would have liked the extra width seeing as the original bearings appear to be 20mm wide,

CX PHREAK

« Reply #13 on: 13-Jul-21, 12:32 »
The locating lug will need to be put back.

The last motor I rebuilt had had bearings from an unknown source with the locating lugs removed.

They spun.

nodrog

« Reply #14 on: 13-Jul-21, 19:20 »
Thanks for the Info Seagrass,

How do you form your own locating Lug?
Allen from Cranktech did suggest it is possible.
I was hoping by sticking to a Bearing which spec'd a housing Diameter of 43.02 it would not be necessary. I'd much sooner have one than not.

Seagrass

« Reply #15 on: 13-Jul-21, 19:51 »
If Allan is going to do a crankshaft grind for you I am sure he will be happy to form the locating lugs for you too.

Allan will need the crankshaft and Conrods and bearings when he does the crankshaft grind.

Seagrass

Website and forum protected by
┬áSTOP FORUM SPAM     Bad Behavior     Let's Encrypt

Puggle
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal